Question Extremely frustrating BSOD every 20mins

Apr 20, 2021
Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 6-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Gigabyte B450 GAMING X
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

Hi all - help appreciated, and large number of minidumps attached. I'm a bit of a noob and learning as I go, trialling different fixes.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao63W5UIGV-agzbVCQqfG5qUm3Ch?e=sniF0W

I recently replaced my motherboard, RAM and CPU about two months ago to the above, after a power surge fried my old motherboard.

I used to rarely experience a freeze issue where video will freeze and the sound freezes or loops repeatedly in buzzing sound.

In the last 3-4 weeks, this crash, as well as BSODs have become very frequent, almost like every 20 minutes. This is extremely frustrating when using this computer to work from home.

It seemed to occur most often while watching streaming video (youtube) on all browsers (Opera, Chrome, Edge, Firefox).
Sometimes the web page would get killed and show an error page.

Then specific apps would slow down, freeze, then crash and close - like twitter app, discord, steam.

The funny thing is I've figured out a "fix" that calms down the BSOD error frequency. I start a game in steam and leave the game on all day in the background while working. For whatever reason it staves off BSOD for several hours, instead of every 20 minutes.

I've tried the following:
  • Several clean installs of windows from USB boot
  • Updating all drivers
  • Getting all Windows updates
  • Rolling back Windows updates one by one
  • DDU clean re-install of latest GeForce driver,
  • rolling back GeForce drivers
  • Disabling the GPU driver, audio drivers, iCUE for the mouse, unplugging peripherals
  • I've tried testing the RAM using mem86 and windows mem test which came up no errors.
  • After clean Windows installs not installing suspect apps like the different browsers, steam, discord, twitter app after clean Windows install.
  • I did a driver verifier which forced the BSOD error. I didn't save the minidumps, but I looked at them and believe they contained ntoskrnl.exe related issues
After each action, I'd test the system, and the BSODs would still occur.

Given how much trial and error I've done, I'm starting to suspect the RAM, but haven't tested removing sticks yet, or using different RAM.

I also thought maybe I should update the motherboard BIOS, but was worried about killing my board if it failed during the update.

The following BSOD error codes regularly come up:
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READ_ONLY_MEMORY

Cheers

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 6-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Gigabyte B450 GAMING X
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4

Hi all - help appreciated, and large number of minidumps attached. I'm a bit of a noob and learning as I go, trialling different fixes.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao63W5UIGV-agzbVCQqfG5qUm3Ch?e=sniF0W

I recently replaced my motherboard, RAM and CPU about two months ago to the above, after a power surge fried my old motherboard.

I used to rarely experience a freeze issue where video will freeze and the sound freezes or loops repeatedly in buzzing sound.

In the last 3-4 weeks, this crash, as well as BSODs have become very frequent, almost like every 20 minutes. This is extremely frustrating when using this computer to work from home.

It seemed to occur most often while watching streaming video (youtube) on all browsers (Opera, Chrome, Edge, Firefox).
Sometimes the web page would get killed and show an error page.

Then specific apps would slow down, freeze, then crash and close - like twitter app, discord, steam.

The funny thing is I've figured out a "fix" that calms down the BSOD error frequency. I start a game in steam and leave the game on all day in the background while working. For whatever reason it staves off BSOD for several hours, instead of every 20 minutes.

I've tried the following:
  • Several clean installs of windows from USB boot
  • Updating all drivers
  • Getting all Windows updates
  • Rolling back Windows updates one by one
  • DDU clean re-install of latest GeForce driver,
  • rolling back GeForce drivers
  • Disabling the GPU driver, audio drivers, iCUE for the mouse, unplugging peripherals
  • I've tried testing the RAM using mem86 and windows mem test which came up no errors.
  • After clean Windows installs not installing suspect apps like the different browsers, steam, discord, twitter app after clean Windows install.
  • I did a driver verifier which forced the BSOD error. I didn't save the minidumps, but I looked at them and believe they contained ntoskrnl.exe related issues
After each action, I'd test the system, and the BSODs would still occur.

Given how much trial and error I've done, I'm starting to suspect the RAM, but haven't tested removing sticks yet, or using different RAM.

I also thought maybe I should update the motherboard BIOS, but was worried about killing my board if it failed during the update.

The following BSOD error codes regularly come up:
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READ_ONLY_MEMORY

Cheers
If your using xmp/docp in the bios turn it off.....test.

If still bad try one stick of ram in the proper slot....see the manual....test.

If still bad swap the ram sticks....test.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

I agree with what Bob.B said, but don't use the built in Windows memory checker, use Memtest86. After turning off XMP/DOCP in bios. Do a full test, then do 1 stick at a time, even if you don't see any errors, test the sticks one at a time anyway.

Apr 20, 2021

I agree with what Bob.B said, but don't use the built in Windows memory checker, use Memtest86. After turning off XMP/DOCP in bios. Do a full test, then do 1 stick at a time, even if you don't see any errors, test the sticks one at a time anyway.

Thanks for the advice Bob and Arbiter, will attempt and report back.

Sorry as I'm a noob, what does turning off XMP/DOCP in bios do?

I can google how to perform this, but what is the reasoning here (for my information)? Cheers

I also ran about 20 versions of Memtest 86 for about an hour, as well as Windows memory checker.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice Bob and Arbiter, will attempt and report back.

Sorry as I'm a noob, what does turning off XMP/DOCP in bios do?

I can google how to perform this, but what is the reasoning here (for my information)? Cheers

I also ran about 20 versions of Memtest 86 for about an hour, as well as Windows memory checker.

Thanks
Xmp/docp is for bumping the ram speed.
With it off the ram will run at its default speed.

Apr 20, 2021
Xmp/docp is for bumping the ram speed.
With it off the ram will run at its default speed.

Thanks for the explanation (y)

I just checked the BIOS - it was disabled, so I've now enabled (set to Profile 1) - to test what happens.

So far browsers running streaming video have crashed or frozen, and Windows has frozen - but no BSOD.

I think that's a good sign?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Make and model of PSU?
Age of PSU?
Any weird temps or anything before the BSOD/freeze?
Event viewer say anything helpful?

I wonder if that power surge didn't hurt your power supply? Did you get a new power supply?

PSU's is one of the most over looked components, but can cause a lot of trouble if not working correctly.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Make and model of PSU?
Age of PSU?

I wonder if that power surge didn't hurt your power supply? Did you get a new power supply?

PSU's is one of the most over looked components, but can cause a lot of trouble if not working correctly.

I agree with this as well.

something else I would do is use ddu to clean the video drivers. Then reseat it and install the latest drivers. But right now the PSU sounds like it could be the culprit.

Apr 25, 2021
Hola, no se como llegué aquí pero prometo ayudarte,

¿Tiene una tarjeta inalámbrica / LAN?

* Dame el nombre.

has probado muchas cosas pero no una de las cosas más estúpidas es importante sígueme.

Paso 1: Desenchufe todas las tarjetas de red si son USB mejor aún y elimine los controladores (esto más adelante) simplemente reinicie e intente usar su PC a plena potencia o déjela sola (me refiero a encontrar la forma en que generalmente obtiene el error).

¿Persiste el problema? Desactive las tarjetas de sonido, estamos comprobando porque el error es muy común en tarjetas de red y de sonido y si es una de estas tarjetas / chipsets integrados la que genera la falla, simplemente reemplácela no hay otra solución.

Nota: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Hello, I don't know how you got here but I promise to help you,

Do you have a wireless / LAN card?

Give me the name.

You have tried many things but not one of the simplest things. Follow me.

Step 1: Unplug all network cards, if USB better yet, and remove drivers (this later). Just reboot and try using your PC at full power or leave it alone (I mean find the way you usually get the error) .

Does the problem persist? Deactivate the sound cards, we are checking because the error is very common in network and sound cards and if it is one of these integrated cards / chipsets that generates the fault, simply replace it there is no other solution.

Note: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This, an error sent by a malfunction of the hardware operators, can be caused by use collapse, by this I mean that if the network card detects a lot of traffic the network card collapses but with certain applications when they are running as in your case you leave a game running in the background, it fixes for strange reasons.

Let me know if it works or if the blue screen keeps appearing :)

[Mod Edit]: Please use English only in these forums. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 20, 2021
Make and model of PSU?
Age of PSU?

Model is EVGA NEX650G, 4 years old.

Is there a way to check temperatures while running?

But PSU being the problem would make sense considering the power surge which destroyed the motherboard.

Is the best option to buy a new one and test it?

Apr 20, 2021
ess / LAN card?

Give me the name.

Step 1: Unplug all network cards, if

Hola, no se como llegué aquí pero prometo ayudarte,

¿Tiene una tarjeta inalámbrica / LAN?

* Dame el nombre.

has probado muchas cosas pero no una de las cosas más estúpidas es importante sígueme.

Paso 1: Desenchufe todas las tarjetas de red si son USB mejor aún y elimine los controladores (esto más adelante) simplemente reinicie e intente usar su PC a plena potencia o déjela sola (me refiero a encontrar la forma en que generalmente obtiene el error).

¿Persiste el problema? Desactive las tarjetas de sonido, estamos comprobando porque el error es muy común en tarjetas de red y de sonido y si es una de estas tarjetas / chipsets integrados la que genera la falla, simplemente reemplácela no hay otra solución.

Nota: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Hello, I don't know how you got here but I promise to help you,

Do you have a wireless / LAN card?

Give me the name.

Step 1: Unplug all network cards, if USB better yet, and remove drivers (this later). Just reboot and try using your PC at full power or leave it alone (I mean find the way you usually get the error) .

Does the problem persist? Deactivate the sound cards, we are checking because the error is very common in network and sound cards and if it is one of these integrated cards / chipsets that generates the fault, simply replace it there is no other solution.

Note: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This, an error sent by a malfunction of the hardware operators, can be caused by use collapse, by this I mean that if the network card detects a lot of traffic the network card collapses but with certain applications when they are running as in your case you leave a game running in the background, it fixes for strange reasons.

Let me know if it works or if the blue screen keeps appearing :)

[Mod Edit]: Please use English only in these forums. Thank you.

Gracias for your reply!

I don't have a wireless card or LAN card, I use the motherboard network card.

I just tried to disable the adaptor driver (Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller) - and play multiple videos to simulate web browsers playing streaming video - which seemed to force the BSOD. This seems to have worked? No BSOD in 30 mins.

Now I have restarted, re-enabled the driver and have many browsers playing with streaming video.

Maybe you are right, I will reply with further information after more testing.

Reactions: Hit_it_and_fix_it