[SOLVED] Extremely high cpu temps, is it going to be okay?

Jul 12, 2020
So I built in January and my R5 3600 has always had higher temps, idle being from about 35 to 50 and under very high loads it could get up to 80 max. 2 days ago though, I was running an very intensive program and for the few minutes it ran, the temp got up to 87. Now today I was playing COD and I saw my temps GO UP TO 90. I didn't play for more than a few minutes.

Tomorrow I'm going to reapply thermal paste, but I'd really like someone's opinion, is my cpu going to suffer from this? And just to make sure, the reason temps are up now is because thermal paste melted and not because my cpu is like fried now, right?

Edit: So I cleaned the dust off of my fan filters and also adjusted some fan settings in BIOS and apparently everything seems fine now...? I played cod for a while and didn't get higher than 77, ran 3d mark time spy and the max it got to was 81 and i also got the best score I've ever had 🤷‍♀️ The only thing is my idle temp seems to never get below 43 now.

Last edited:
Solution
Your idle temps are not high. They are perfectly normal. For a Ryzen. It's not an intel cpu, so throw out any prior conceptions of what temps are supposed to be, Intel and amd are apples and oranges, they are not the same, don't work the same.

Thermal paste doesn't melt at anything near resembling cpu thermal outputs. Go find a blow torch, different story. You can't compare the 65-140w Ryzen outputs to even a chinzy hairdryer at 1000w.

Ryzens are temperature controlled boost cpus. Intel are constant boost. Meaning, you slap on a larger cooler and temps on a Ryzen probably will not change much at all because they will just boost higher. If your current boost in COD is 3.7GHz, and seeing 87°C, adding a larger cooler will just allow the...

Furzumz

Reputable
So I built in January and my R5 3600 has always had higher temps, idle being from about 35 to 50 and under very high loads it could get up to 80 max.

High idle temperatures is common among these newer ryzen CPU's and 80c load is safe for a 3600 so no worries there

I was running an very intensive program and for the few minutes it ran, the temp got up to 87. Now today I was playing COD and I saw my temps GO UP TO 90. I didn't play for more than a few minutes.

Were you playing cod warzone without heat issues before or did you just recently pick up the game and try it?

is my cpu going to suffer from this?

90c is a spicy temperature you don't want your 3600 at however hitting that temperature isn't going to damage your CPU. If you're pegging your CPU at ~95c for hours at a time I would be concerned otherwise hitting 90c for a short bit of time certainly isn't going to fry your CPU.

And just to make sure, the reason temps are up now is because thermal paste melted and not because my cpu is like fried now, right?

Your CPU isn't fried, if it were you wouldn't be in Windows right now.

Thermal paste doesn't melt, its designed specifically to transfer heat. It can dry out but that would take roughly 2 to 4 years depending on the paste.

What cooler are you using? As for the stuff that has caused sudden increase in temperatures, have you ran those programs / games in the past without any heat issues?

Also, have you been blowing the dust out of your computer with a can of compressed air? If so when was the last time you did it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There have been many threads on this... can't be helped though.
The stock cooler wasn't meant to be pushed with 'intensive programs'. If you want to run those programs, you need to get a new cooler.

80C is fine; these cpus actually seem to like that number with how many times I've seen and read about it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your idle temps are not high. They are perfectly normal. For a Ryzen. It's not an intel cpu, so throw out any prior conceptions of what temps are supposed to be, Intel and amd are apples and oranges, they are not the same, don't work the same.

Thermal paste doesn't melt at anything near resembling cpu thermal outputs. Go find a blow torch, different story. You can't compare the 65-140w Ryzen outputs to even a chinzy hairdryer at 1000w.

Ryzens are temperature controlled boost cpus. Intel are constant boost. Meaning, you slap on a larger cooler and temps on a Ryzen probably will not change much at all because they will just boost higher. If your current boost in COD is 3.7GHz, and seeing 87°C, adding a larger cooler will just allow the cpu to boost upto maybe 4.1GHz, but the cpu might be at 85°C as well.

That's going to be controlled by what motherboard you have and if you are or are not running PBO.

You have a 6/12 cpu. Do not assume the CPU is at 87°C, that could easily be just the temp of the hottest core used. The other 5 cores could just as easily be at 60°C. It can also depend on which software is run to get that temp. I'd advise you use balanced power plan and Ryzen Master. HWInfo (sensors only) if you want a more in depth but accurate report and definitely do not use HWMonitor.

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Were you playing cod warzone without heat issues before or did you just recently pick up the game and try it?

Yes, I probably have like 30 or so hours in the game and I often keep track of temps while a play when I start to notice the fan getting louder and it's never gone above 80 until today.

90c is a spicy temperature you don't want your 3600 at however hitting that temperature isn't going to damage your CPU. If you're pegging your CPU at ~95c for hours at a time I would be concerned otherwise hitting 90c for a short bit of time certainly isn't going to fry your CPU.

Thanks, that's good to know

Your CPU isn't fried, if it were you wouldn't be in Windows right now.

Yeah lol, what I meant was if getting my CPU to such high temps just somehow damaged it in such a way that it still runs but it just gets hotter much more quickly, but I think you answered this above

What cooler are you using? As for the stuff that has caused sudden increase in temperatures, have you ran those programs / games in the past without any heat issues?

I'm using the stock cooler

Also, have you been blowing the dust out of your computer with a can of compressed air? If so when was the last time you did it?

No I haven't, but I just ordered some on Amazon. I also checked my fan filters and there was quite a bit of dog hair so maybe that was the issue? It still seems like it would be a pretty big coincidence though that it would just start affecting things now, just two days after getting my temps higher than they'd ever been.

Furzumz

Reputable
Yes, I probably have like 30 or so hours in the game and I often keep track of temps while a play when I start to notice the fan getting louder and it's never gone above 80 until today.

Thanks, that's good to know

Yeah lol, what I meant was if getting my CPU to such high temps just somehow damaged it in such a way that it still runs but it just gets hotter much more quickly, but I think you answered this above

I'm using the stock cooler

No I haven't, but I just ordered some on Amazon. I also checked my fan filters and there was quite a bit of dog hair so maybe that was the issue? It still seems like it would be a pretty big coincidence though that it would just start affecting things now, just two days after getting my temps higher than they'd ever been.

Yeah running your CPU hot for a short while shouldn't damage it in a way where it would heat up even quicker from previous heat damage. Or least I've never heard of that before personally.

I think what's wrong is a combination of your stock cooler and dust build up. I did some digging around and there's other people running the stock cooler with the 3600 who are seeing 85-90C temperatures under heavy load

The stock coolers that come with CPU's usually aren't good. They'll keep the CPU from completely baking itself (for the most part) but with high CPU loads you'll see what you're getting now.

Months worth of dust build up will only make the temperatures even worse