[SOLVED] Extremely high temps. Cooler is properly mounted in place

Strife1994

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Hello!

I've built a computer about 6 months ago and everything was fine until a couple days ago when a power surge killed my graphics card.

Well my new one arrived today and I just replaced it. Weirdly enough, my CPU temps spiked ridiculously. At first I thought I might have knocked the CPU cooler loose somehow so I went and took it out and put it back in, after replacing the thermal paste. No difference in temperatures.

Under heavy workload temps are the following:

hxbp6pkd2on41.png

I feel no throttling. I can play video games just fine with absolutely no FPS drops with everything on max. PC doesn't shut itself down. What's weird to me is that speedfan shows different temps from other programs. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility shows the same temps as both CPUID and Core Temp. I have no clue which one to believe in but could the power surge have affected temperature readings somehow? If so, why are speedfan temperatures different? I've tried taking the cooler out and putting it back in again 3 times by now, nothing is wrong with how it is placed. Fan is at max speed and I can't seem to push it further beyond that point. I have no clue what to do or if it's safe to play video games or do heavy work (I'm a programmer).

Specs:
16 gb ram
Graphics card: Zotac Gaming 2070
MoBo: Asus Z390m-Plus
CPU: I7 9700K

Any help is greatly appreciated

Solution
I would double check all the case fan connections to make sure something wasn't accidentally disconnected. Also verify the CPU fan connector and that it's spinning.