[SOLVED] Extremely High Temps (Ryzen 3900x) 60+ Idling

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hi all, so i got ryzen 3900x couple days ago and i have been monitoring temps and voltage for 2 days and they are extremely high. Yes i am using stock cooler (which i intend to upgrade to noctua nh-d15 next month) but the temps are way too high.
My motherboard is AsRock x570 Creator. All settings in BIOS are at default/auto. I haven't changed any setting in BIOS except applying XMP profile for my RAM. Light gaming can push temps into 80s and yesterday i did a handbrake conversion: within seconds temps jumped to 91 then stabilized at 93 as there were definite signs of CPU throttling. My main core was only running at 4.05 GHz.
I am using Ryzen Balanced power plan but the CPU core voltage is consistently at 1.4V+ going as high as 1.45 and above under load. This is too high for my liking as i plan to use this processor for 3+ years so i don't want it to die prematurely due to soo high voltage. Look at screenshot, this is at 4% CPU load, running nothing but some web pages and steam downloading game update in background.

oht2kT0.png

EDIT: Some other useful info:
Ambient Temps: Around 22C
Case: Thermaltake Core V71

Last edited:
Solution
Go to BIOS and drop the core voltage 0.1 volt and it will be fine.
Make CPU core voltage to 1.3 or 1.2 volt the max temp. will not exceed 62 C but the frequency will drop to 3.8 Gh but it will not affect the the CPU performance, almost the performance will decrease to 10%. and in games you will see no difference.
seems like you're using more than 4% CPU - rough 30% so 3-4 cores. 60'C is not unexpected IF that's the case. Obvious things to check for are whether the heatsink is making good contact and maybe the thermal paste.

don't worry about your CPU failing, it has a 3yr wty and can be replaced if it fails.

Last edited:

baha_timimi

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Go to BIOS and drop the core voltage 0.1 volt and it will be fine.
Make CPU core voltage to 1.3 or 1.2 volt the max temp. will not exceed 62 C but the frequency will drop to 3.8 Gh but it will not affect the the CPU performance, almost the performance will decrease to 10%. and in games you will see no difference.

Solution