[SOLVED] Extremely hot CPU when idle

progincs

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
I recently built my first pc, it is now about a week old. Starting yesterday, my CPU has been running extremely hot. As soon as I turn on my pc, the CPU fan starts spinning quite fast and is very loud. The program Core Temp says my CPU is running around 55-65 degrees Celsius when idle, and gaming for only 2-3 minutes increase the temperature to 80-90 degrees celsius. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler (Wraith Stealth Cooler), but just ordered a different CPU cooler because I have read that the stock one does not work very well. However, I fear this is not just a cooler problem, as the CPU should not reach 65 degrees immediately after booting with no programs running. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Solution
All coolers work with a fairly simple physical process. If a heat sink and fan are physically working and there's no odd overclock, then 99 times out of 100, it's an improper installation.

progincs

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
All coolers work with a fairly simple physical process. If a heat sink and fan are physically working and there's no odd overclock, then 99 times out of 100, it's an improper installation.
Alright, I will make sure I install my new cooler correctly and then look at the temperatures again. Thank you.

progincs

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
Beside improper cooler installation and good case ventilation, high CPU voltage can also contribute to heat.
The voltage is set to default, which is 1.1125 volts, and the software I'm using to monitor my pc components says the CPU is receiving around 1.1-1.3 volts at any given time.

The volts look good as long as the cpu is idling down to "sleep" when not in use. If the cpu cooler is installed correctly the only remaining options are case ventilation and ambient room temps.

To prove case airflow you can simply remove the side panel from the PC and point a room fan into the case...if temps improve you've got a case airflow issue.

If ambient temps in your room are high since it's summer there's not much you can do besides run an AC unit.

Ferimer

Distinguished
The voltage is set to default, which is 1.1125 volts, and the software I'm using to monitor my pc components says the CPU is receiving around 1.1-1.3 volts at any given time.
That CPu has a max temp of 95 degrees celsius. OH yah man AMD CPUs run hot, they are known to exhibit high temps. ALbeit the stock cooling is garbage on them. What is the case you have? how many case fans do you have se tup?

progincs

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
That CPu has a max temp of 95 degrees celsius. OH yah man AMD CPUs run hot, they are known to exhibit high temps. ALbeit the stock cooling is garbage on them. What is the case you have? how many case fans do you have se tup?
I have a CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh with 2 intake fans at the front and 1 exhaust fan at the back. I was thinking about adding another exhaust fan on the top, but didn't think it would be needed.

progincs

Prominent
Jul 7, 2020
The volts look good as long as the cpu is idling down to "sleep" when not in use. If the cpu cooler is installed correctly the only remaining options are case ventilation and ambient room temps.

To prove case airflow you can simply remove the side panel from the PC and point a room fan into the case...if temps improve you've got a case airflow issue.

If ambient temps in your room are high since it's summer there's not much you can do besides run an AC unit.
I'll check temperatures with the side panel off, if that does not work then I will assume it is the stock cooler because I live in the basement and it gets quite cold in my room. Thanks for the help :)

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I recently built my first pc, it is now about a week old. Starting yesterday, my CPU has been running extremely hot. As soon as I turn on my pc, the CPU fan starts spinning quite fast and is very loud. The program Core Temp says my CPU is running around 55-65 degrees Celsius when idle, and gaming for only 2-3 minutes increase the temperature to 80-90 degrees celsius. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler (Wraith Stealth Cooler), but just ordered a different CPU cooler because I have read that the stock one does not work very well. However, I fear this is not just a cooler problem, as the CPU should not reach 65 degrees immediately after booting with no programs running. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
Most likely a poor cooler seating. A processor CAN get very hot just starting up if there is inadequate or no cooling

beorn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Pull the cooler off, clean the thermal paste, heavily reapply with quality thermal compound and make sure that the cooler is screwed down properly.
I would not advise "heavy" application of thermal paste. A pea sized drop in the center of the heat spreader is enough. Too much paste can cause cooling issues too

jasonf2

Distinguished
I would not advise "heavy" application of thermal paste. A pea sized drop in the center of the heat spreader is enough. Too much paste can cause cooling issues too
That is what I consider to be heavy. Also don't draw with the stuff. Pea sized drop in the middle to keep air bubbles out. When setting it do not pull back off once the spreader is applied. If you do clean it and restart process.