Status
Not open for further replies.

foreversky

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Greetings,

I recently built my computer back in Nov 2010 and been greatly satisfied so far, but recently could not bare the loudness of my fan noise. All my cpu/case fans are stock. Now i feel the need to get a new fan but not sure if the majority of the noise is comming from the CPU fan or the video card.

The noise only gets REALLY loud when i am playing a 3D Game like WoW, Rift, BFBC 2, etc games on high/max video settings. So i think its safe to assume that its the video card noise (reference card) because the fan noises only get obnoxious when im playing a 3D game. I just need some help/advsd/recommendation to lower the fan noise. My GPU and CPU are both NOT overclocked...

Here's my spec:

Mobo:
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

Video Card:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

PSU:
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Solution
My bet is the AMD stock heatsink that thing gets up to 5000-6000rpms even at those temps. Trust me, i have one of those damn things. One coolermaster Hyper 212+ and the problems are solved.

On the ati side 70c is not for 80% fan time, at best 45-50% for most cards. Hell the 4870s idles at 70-80c with the fans under 30%

EDIT, The AUX temp is a non connected sensor. once again its normal. ignore that sucker.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Check the temps first. It may very well be that the fan noises are so high because your CPU/GPU/PSU is being stressed. This can be because of crappy heatsink seating, old thermal paste or simply a malfunctioning PSU.

Find out what it making the noise, come back with the temperatures of your equipment and we can work from there!

PS: CPU temperatures can be seen in the BIOS, for GFX temps use something like CPU-Z, FurMark or Afterburner.

foreversky

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

Thanks for your response Toxxyc,

I checked the temps while playing a game on max vid settings and came back with the following temps:

CPU: 53C
AUX: 102C
GPU: 70C

Currently using stock fans/heatsinks on my CPU... but i can't shake off the fact its the video card that's causing the majority of the noise

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
It is the video card. 70'C would push the GPU fan speed to around 80% in most cases. Is it overclocked? If it is, maybe try a lower OC setting (even a 25MHz drop would cause less heat to form).

CPU temps are quite OK. 53'C aren't much, specially not for an AMD CPU.

What I don't understand though, is what is the AUX temp? If this is your PSU temps, then you need to stop playing NOW. The PSU cannot handle that much heat, you can seriously damage your entire rig if it cannot deliver the power needed. Also, as 102'C it's hot enough for the caps to start boiling on the inside, and you may very well get an explosion from the PSU. Please tell me it's not from the PSU... :O

My bet is the AMD stock heatsink that thing gets up to 5000-6000rpms even at those temps. Trust me, i have one of those damn things. One coolermaster Hyper 212+ and the problems are solved.

On the ati side 70c is not for 80% fan time, at best 45-50% for most cards. Hell the 4870s idles at 70-80c with the fans under 30%

EDIT, The AUX temp is a non connected sensor. once again its normal. ignore that sucker.

Solution

foreversky

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

Thanks, i also heard so many bad reviews about the stock heatsink when i was reading the review on newegg prior to buying the CPU. I honestly didn't think it could be the CPU heatsink tho because the only time the fan noise gets obnoxious, again, was when i was playing 3D games and high settings so i automatically figured it was the GPU that was screaming... I guess ill try the 212 and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks!

A quick way to test it, just get and run prime95, that will max the cpu and if you get that sound, then you will know for sure.

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

I did not expect that much noise either, worst is back when AMD have the Athlon64 first released, they tended to be quiet. When I got a X6, I never even tried the stock cooler.

A 955BE is unlocked so, you can even overclock(with the multiplier) it a bit with a better heatsink.

foreversky

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Hey... so i installed prime95 and gave it a stress test for 5 min under blend mode and speedfan show'd my cpu temp as 80C so i stopped immediately... this is definitately not normal i assume...? Weird thing about it tho is that the CPU fan RPM was only at about 3750 and the noise wasn't so bad when Speed Fan showed CPU Temp at 80C... i don't even know whats going on anymore. Sorry to sound so clueless, again any help would be greatly appreciated.

80c is very hot for an AMD part even under stock.

you may want to check with hardware monitor to see if speedfan has the right temperatures.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you pass 62(amd spec, but i would say closer to70), things are way too hot.

That fan has a built in thermal sensor so it takes a bit of time at higher temps to spin up as well. even if the board is telling it go full out it needs to get warm to reach its max speed.

this was a short test with the hyper 212+ @ 3.7

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2592/prime955beoc.jpg

foreversky

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

Thanks

After doing some extensive research on CPU coolers i've bought a Noctua NH-D14. The installation was a nightmare but boy, it made a night and day difference - it was indeed the crappy 955 stock cooler. My temps dropped almost 20c and can run prime 95 on full load under 54C. Now my comp does not sound like a vacum cleaner when i play games :D

watts22

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

uninitiated... if you're gonna use big words, spell them correctly

geis

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Whoawhoawhoa, bro, he forgot one "i", maybe a mis-click. I ****ing HATE SPELLING POLICE.

Status
Not open for further replies.