Question Extremely Low cinebench scores with Ryzen 7 2700x

Aug 31, 2019
Hey there, I’ve been experiencing problems recently with my cpu in the sense that my cinebench score is extremely low compared to other people’s for that cpu. I’m using the Ryzen 7 2700x and I’m getting cinebench scores of barely even 900, however I see people getting more than 1500 score when running the test. This problem started when I first got the cpu, I used the stock cooler and temps were fine, but I just assumed that the low score was due to my b350 mobo and my ram only running at 2400mhz. I upgraded my ram anyway recently and along with that my mobo, I got the msi b450 Pro-Vdh plus and my ram runs at 3200mhz. I ran the cinebench test and realised that I was still getting similarly low scores as to what I was getting before I upgraded. My clock speed is correct and isn’t dropping, so I’m very unsure as to why this is happening. I would really appreciate if someone would help me out. Thank you very much.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
Gtx 1060 6gb
Msi b450m pro-vdh plus
2x8gb g.skill trident Z @ 3200mhz
Corsair Tx550M 80+ Gols psu

On that particular board I'd steer clear of all-core overclocking but, if you can, enable PBO and set all the parameters to maximum values. That will help the CPU to boost longer and higher. You also might try to use a small negative VCore offset. That helps it keep a bit cooler so the boost algorithm sees more thermal margin to help it boost more. I'm not sure how much it will help, but anything is better than nothing.

But ultimately you need to keep in mind your board has a fairly weak VRM and 2700x CPU's need pretty good power delivery to reach full potential.

Aug 31, 2019
[On that particular board I'd steer clear of all-core overclocking but if you can, enable PBO and set all the parameters to maximum values. That will help the CPU to boost longer and higher. You also might try to use a small negative VCore offset. That helps it keep a bit cooler so the boost algorithm sees more thermal margin to help it boost more. I'm not sure how much it will help, but anything is better than nothing.

But ultimately you need to keep in mind your board has a fairly weak VRM and 2700x CPU's need pretty good power delivery to reach full potential.
Wow thanks for the fast reply, I have a few questions,
How do I enable PBO? And how do I use a small negative Vcor offset?
I sound pretty dumb but I mainly just went for the voltage and clock speed when overclocking so i don’t really know all of the settings and options available. Thank you again though for your reply.

Wow thanks for the fast reply, I have a few questions,
How do I enable PBO? And how do I use a small negative Vcor offset?
I sound pretty dumb but I mainly just went for the voltage and clock speed when overclocking so i don’t really know all of the settings and options available. Thank you again though for your reply.
You find those in your BIOS... the Overclocking menu. You may have to search for it. If you don't have it in your BIOS then check to see if there are any updates you've not gotten. Don't get any updates for Ryzen 3000 CPU's as they're not useful for a Ryzen 2000 and you won't like it anyway.

Aug 31, 2019
You find those in your BIOS... the Overclocking menu. You may have to search for it. If you don't have it in your BIOS then check to see if there are any updates you've not gotten. Don't get any updates for Ryzen 3000 CPU's as they're not useful for a Ryzen 2000 and you won't like it anyway.
Ok thank you, I’ll have a look today and let you know what happens

Aug 31, 2019
I enabled Pbo and changed the vcore offset and ran cinebench again. I was getting temps of just under 90 degrees, however I got an even lower score! This time i only got 779 rather than close to 900.

I enabled Pbo and changed the vcore offset and ran cinebench again. I was getting temps of just under 90 degrees, however I got an even lower score! This time i only got 779 rather than close to 900.
Is that score single core? If it's multi-core something is seriously wrong. And 90C seems high even for a wraith prism.

You should probably take off the heatsink and re-seat it with new TIM. Make sure it's on the CPU evenly, not angled or leaning.

Aug 31, 2019
Is that score single core? If it's multi-core something is seriously wrong. And 90C seems high even for a wraith prism.

You should probably take off the heatsink and re-seat it with new TIM. Make sure it's on the CPU evenly, not angled or leaning.
I think the test is multi core, I’m just using default settings on cinebench and I don’t see an option to change. Thing is, I can run csgo on low settings at 200-300 fps constant with drops maybe to around 140/150fps

Aug 31, 2019
I ran my previous 2700X with a Noctua NH-U9S and get around 1700cb with Cinebench R15 on X470-I board. I had PBO disabled, and only using DOCP to achieve 3200 CL16 with RAM kit. What are your clock speeds showing during the test?
The clock speeds show whichever clock I’m running my cpu at, I’ve tried different speeds but for every one my clock speeds have been at the correct values, even at stock speeds my score was very low and everything was running at 3.7ghz as it should have been

The clock speeds show whichever clock I’m running my cpu at, I’ve tried different speeds but for every one my clock speeds have been at the correct values, even at stock speeds my score was very low and everything was running at 3.7ghz as it should have been
What version cinebench? 15 or 20 are out.

at the top in the FILE menu there's an ADVANCED toggle. Select that and you'll see a run button for both CPU and CPU (Single Core). But if you hadn't set that check mark all you'd be getting is the multicore (CPU) button. 900 is way, way to low for either CB20 or CB15 multi.

What else do you have running? Other things running can eat up processor cycles...things to look for are game launchers (Origin, Steam, etc) and RGB utilities like iCue.

Aug 31, 2019
Yh it was running on multicore mode on cb15 I tried on 20 and I still got low cores compared to others. Icue was always disabled and Made sure only cinebench was running

Aug 31, 2019
Ok. Can you provide some pics of BIOS settings, Cinebench, ect. Any software running in background? Malware perhaps? What software are you monitoring clock speeds with, Ryzen Master?
I’ve been using hwmonitor to check and monitor my core clocks, I’ve been meaning to check for malware but I haven’t found any good free anti viruses. I’m out for today so I’ll Be able to send pictures tomorrow. My ram is also at 3200mhz as it should Be.

I’ve been using hwmonitor to check and monitor my core clocks, I’ve been meaning to check for malware but I haven’t found any good free anti viruses. I’m out for today so I’ll Be able to send pictures tomorrow. My ram is also at 3200mhz as it should Be.
Windows' own Defender is actually pretty good so if you've nothing else let it do a full scan. But it uses only one thread and is very slow so it will take quite a while to complete.

Malware Bytes has a free version that's very good and it's full scan is very fast as it's multi-threaded. It will install the full version as a Trial that expires in a few days, you can ignore it after that. But when you start it manually (once trial period has expired) it will still update for you to run scan anytime you feel the need.

You really should use two good scanners, though. That way you'll get the best practical detection of threats.

Aug 31, 2019
Windows' own Defender is actually pretty good so if you've nothing else let it do a full scan. But it uses only one thread and is very slow so it will take quite a while to complete.

Malware Bytes has a free version that's very good and it's full scan is very fast as it's multi-threaded. It will install the full version as a Trial that expires in a few days, you can ignore it after that. But when you start it manually (once trial period has expired) it will still update for you to run scan anytime you feel the need.

You really should use two good scanners, though. That way you'll get the best practical detection of threats.
Ok I’ll try both of them out today and I’ll let you know if it finds anything