[SOLVED] Extremely low FPS in all my games.

Zanorax

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Around December sometime my PC started getting really low fps in games. at first I thought it was just warzone being very well optimized on pc. But I soon found out it was happening in ALL my games, I also noticed the sound would become distorted through the hdmi when I played games. It didn't happen if I played music or videos but only after I launched a game and would continue even for music and videos until I restarted my pc. First I was told it was the psu so I had that replaced under warranty. (my entire pc is only about 2 years old) The issue was still happening, I then reinstalled windows but still not change. I was unable to really do anything else about it for a while because of lockdown.

I took my pc in to a store twice for a check up and both times they said nothing is wrong. Though I feel like they never even looked at it. Both times they had my pc for roughly a month and when I called to ask about it they said it is ready to go they tried to call me yesterday.

I bought new speakers that use the audio jack on my motherboard and the sound issue has fixed so I figured the issue must be my gpu. My gpu was a msi 1080ti. I sent it to msi for repair and they gave me a free upgrade to a 2080 duke. The sound issue in the hdmi is fixed now but I still get extremely low frames in my games and I can not think of why, I have pulled the entire pc apart several times and nothing ever changes. I have been using several games to test my pc and I get low frames in every single game no matter how demanding it is. and I mean really low like 5 fps in sea of thieves on lowest settings. smaller indie games are just as bad.

I have pulled the entire pc apart several times to make sure everything is in place correctly and nothing is loose. I use msi afterburner to check the heat and everything is fine there is no overheating. task manager says my gpu is using around 99% while I have a game running and about 50% for ram. my cpu is an i7 7740x with watercooling and I have 16gb of ram.

My case is coolermaster cosmos c700m which is a very large case and has plenty of airflow and my power supply is a corsair RM 850x.
My motherboard is msi gaming m7 ack x299.

I have also just done a complete wipe of everything on my pc and all my drivers are up to date.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong please?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020
Around December sometime my PC started getting really low fps in games. at first I thought it was just warzone being very well optimized on pc. But I soon found out it was happening in ALL my games, I also noticed the sound would become distorted through the hdmi when I played games. It didn't happen if I played music or videos but only after I launched a game and would continue even for music and videos until I restarted my pc. First I was told it was the psu so I had that replaced under warranty. (my entire pc is only about 2 years old) The issue was still happening, I then reinstalled windows but still not change. I was unable to really do anything else about it for a while because of lockdown.

I took my pc in to a store twice for a check up and both times they said nothing is wrong. Though I feel like they never even looked at it. Both times they had my pc for roughly a month and when I called to ask about it they said it is ready to go they tried to call me yesterday.

I bought new speakers that use the audio jack on my motherboard and the sound issue has fixed so I figured the issue must be my gpu. My gpu was a msi 1080ti. I sent it to msi for repair and they gave me a free upgrade to a 2080 duke. The sound issue in the hdmi is fixed now but I still get extremely low frames in my games and I can not think of why, I have pulled the entire pc apart several times and nothing ever changes. I have been using several games to test my pc and I get low frames in every single game no matter how demanding it is. and I mean really low like 5 fps in sea of thieves on lowest settings. smaller indie games are just as bad.

I have pulled the entire pc apart several times to make sure everything is in place correctly and nothing is loose. I use msi afterburner to check the heat and everything is fine there is no overheating. task manager says my gpu is using around 99% while I have a game running and about 50% for ram. my cpu is an i7 7740x with watercooling and I have 16gb of ram.

My case is coolermaster cosmos c700m which is a very large case and has plenty of airflow and my power supply is a corsair RM 850x.
My motherboard is msi gaming m7 ack x299.

I have also just done a complete wipe of everything on my pc and all my drivers are up to date.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong please?
Have you updated windows 10