AALEXX203

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Hello all,

My brother's computer has been getting lag spikes and low fps for quite some time now. Since he has started playing games like gta v again this has become very noticeable, The PC can run medium gta v settings at 60 fps maximum before a game crash and also with lag spikes. Another game known to do this was ghost recon wildlands.

I have ran a benchmark and the results are quite alarming and I hope you guys can give a bit of an insight to what the issue might be.

The computer is only 1 year old and I have installed the latest drivers.

Benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/45545238

Many thanks.

Solution
1TB drive is nearly full. Might need some clean up and defrag, particularly if it is being used for swap file space. But most glaring is the memory speed. You may want to check your BIOS/Battery and make sure the system is keeping settings.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1TB drive is nearly full. Might need some clean up and defrag, particularly if it is being used for swap file space. But most glaring is the memory speed. You may want to check your BIOS/Battery and make sure the system is keeping settings.

Solution

AALEXX203

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Yes and the CPU is thermal throttling or somebody made BIOS changes because the turbo speed is way to low.
Okay my brother is certainly not one to even touch a bios let alone make changes and i am sure i never made these changes. Would it be suggested to reset to default settings and ensure xmp is enabled?

AALEXX203

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Battery seems okay and bios is keeping settings.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Userbenchmark is only good for the broad strokes. Now you want to run a known benchmark like 3D Mark Firestrike and compare your CPU and GPU scores to what other people have posted with the same hardware. Or get your game settings identical to a video on youtube and compare your average FPS.

Looks good really, the GPU is outperforming the average. CPU is a little under the average, that is probably due to not having the fastest memory possible and not overclocking the CPU. In general the people that know about userbenchmark are more likely to overclock.

As for lag spikes, well, that could be the software on the system. Check for updates to tools running in the taskbar, and disable anything not needed while gaming.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
^^^^^ That is correct userbenchmark is only good for helping us see obvious problems like the memory speed or turbo speed other than that it's fairly poor because it compares stock systems to the same system that has been overclocked..

It like your stock K model processor people say well something is wrong it's on in the 40% when it's being compared to all the others that were overclocked.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Their scaling system leaves things to be desired as well.

GTX1080 out performs an RTX3060 by 8% according to them. This is not correct. Average gaming benchmarks give about a 20-30% FPS advantage to the 3060.
RTX2060 is a pretty close match to a GTX1080 in reality, userbenchmark gives an 11% advantage to the GTX1080... So they are claiming a 3% difference between 3060 and 2060.

Thing is they are using artificial tests and not games for the majority of the benches. Whereas the audience for most gaming GPUs, is for games...

Raw stats:

RTX 3060 = 3584 cuda cores and 12GB of GDDR6 at 15000.
RTX 2060 = 1920 cuda cores and 6GB of GDDR6 at 14000
GTX 1080 = 2560 cuda cores and 8GB of GDDR5X at 10000/11000

AALEXX203

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Userbenchmark is only good for the broad strokes. Now you want to run a known benchmark like 3D Mark Firestrike and compare your CPU and GPU scores to what other people have posted with the same hardware. Or get your game settings identical to a video on youtube and compare your average FPS.

Looks good really, the GPU is outperforming the average. CPU is a little under the average, that is probably due to not having the fastest memory possible and not overclocking the CPU. In general the people that know about userbenchmark are more likely to overclock.

As for lag spikes, well, that could be the software on the system. Check for updates to tools running in the taskbar, and disable anything not needed while gaming.

Is there any good free benchmarking software to use. It says i need base 3d mark to actually run firestrike which is £23 and i don't have much money right now.

Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Via Steam I'm pretty sure you can run Firestrike and TimeSpy for free, you don't get to change the options though, beyond a few presets. Unless it has changed.

Unigine Valley or Heaven benchmarks are more direct GPU.

FurMark, but it is risky for your GPU.

AIDA64 trial.

Cinebench for the CPU only.

Still, unless you are still experiencing random lag issues, there may be another cause.