[SOLVED] Extremely low internet speeds

Dec 6, 2020
Hello,

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 5566, running Windows 10 Home. My internet plan (Comcast Xfinity) is supposed to give me a speed of 200Mbps. The other devices in my house are able to reach this, or at least as much of it as their adapters can handle, pretty easily; however, my laptop is maxing out at around 5 Mbps- and sometimes dips as low as 0.5 Mbps. This is happening whether I use wifi or ethernet. I've tried resets or driver updates on both my wifi and ethernet devices (Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Adapter and RealTek PCIe FE Family Controller, respectively) as well as restarting my laptop and the modem/router (Arris Surfboard SVG2482AC), but to no avail.

Since the issue is only on my computer I'm assuming that's where the problem is, but I'm at best a novice at this and am out of ideas about what it could be. What else could be causing this issue? Please let me know if there's any other information I should supply.

Thanks,

Malvastor

Ethernet connection:

http://prntscr.com/vx50al (Forum's not letting me embed this as a picture)

IPv6 address:
Link-local IPv6 address:
IPv6 DNS servers: 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
IPv4 address:
IPv4 DNS servers: 75.75.75.75
Primary DNS suffix: hsd1.md.comcast.net
Manufacturer: Realtek
Description: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Driver version: 10.19.627.2017
Physical address (MAC):

WiFi connection:

https://prnt.sc/vx4ya9

SSID:
Protocol: Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n)
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 2.4 GHz
Network channel: 1
IPv6 address:
Link-local IPv6 address:
IPv6 DNS servers: 2001:558:feed::1
2001:558:feed::2
IPv4 address:
IPv4 DNS servers: 75.75.75.75
Manufacturer: Qualcomm Communications Inc.
Description: Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Wireless Adapter
Driver version: 10.0.3.462
Physical address (MAC):

Solution
That is really strange that a very modern laptop they put a 10/100 ethernet port in and not a gigabit port. So even when things work the best you will never get more than 100mbps. In addition the 802.11n seems to be a very basic model. The 72 number means you have good signal but that does not really represent the speed. You might get 30mbps out of it. Still it is much higher than 5mbit.

This is extremely strange because it is affecting 2 different network interfaces. This makes it less likely it is just a simple driver issue but it could be laptops are kinda strange sometimes.

The other thing I notice is you have IPv6 addresses. I would try to disable the ipv6 support in the interface and see if it makes any...

Lutfij

Titan
What version of Windows 10 are you working with at the moment? You will need to visit Dell's support page for your laptop(using the service tag) to see if you have BIOS updates pending. if you do, gradually work your way to the latest, instead of jumping to the latest. Take note of any MEI drivers you will need to perform in between BIOS updates.

That said, if you're able to, try and reinstall the OS after you've created your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Once installation is finished, manually install all drivers for your laptop in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that alleviates the bandwidth issue on your laptop.

That is really strange that a very modern laptop they put a 10/100 ethernet port in and not a gigabit port. So even when things work the best you will never get more than 100mbps. In addition the 802.11n seems to be a very basic model. The 72 number means you have good signal but that does not really represent the speed. You might get 30mbps out of it. Still it is much higher than 5mbit.

This is extremely strange because it is affecting 2 different network interfaces. This makes it less likely it is just a simple driver issue but it could be laptops are kinda strange sometimes.

The other thing I notice is you have IPv6 addresses. I would try to disable the ipv6 support in the interface and see if it makes any difference. It really shouldn't but it is easy to try.

Solution
Dec 6, 2020
The other thing I notice is you have IPv6 addresses. I would try to disable the ipv6 support in the interface and see if it makes any difference. It really shouldn't but it is easy to try.

I gave this a shot; as predicted, no change.

What version of Windows 10 are you working with at the moment?

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1198

You will need to visit Dell's support page for your laptop(using the service tag) to see if you have BIOS updates pending. if you do, gradually work your way to the latest, instead of jumping to the latest. Take note of any MEI drivers you will need to perform in between BIOS updates.

I did have a BIOS update due, and a couple other drivers; I'm fully up to date now, but still getting the same download speed. I'll try reinstalling Windows next.