Extremely low performance: Whole External Disk Encrypted, then a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) on Win7

fegefeuer

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi,

Would really appreciate help.

Bought a new external HDD (WD My Passport 4TB) to function as my Backup Disk for my Win7 64bit System for the built-in Windows Backup/Restore tool.
The exernal WD disk connects to my system via USB 3.0.
System disk is an SDD. Also have an internal HDD for storage.

I encrypted the whole 4TB WD external disk with Vera Crypt.
I used the encryption that had the highest performance in the benchmarks, AES in my case.
The encryption of the drive took place with satisfactory speeds (around 80-95 mb/s).
Then, I realized that Win7 Backup/Restore tool does not recognize the mounted Vera Crypt volume as a hard drive that it can backup to.

I researched and found one note of someone who said he circumvented this with a virtual hard disk.

Hence, I created a VDH on the vera crypt volume. VHD of fixed size: nearly all of the available space, but I left 40GB free, because I thought I should not use all the space on the volume.
The creation of the VHD also seemed to progress with a 'normal' kind of speed. Still took a very long time because of the 4TB drive, but it was done when I left the computer overnight.
When I mounted this new VHD, Windows Backup did recognize that new volume and it was a selectable disk for the backup.

Now, before actually backing up on this new encrypred disk, I wanted to migrate the contents of my old backup disk (a WD 2TB external HDD) to this new encrypted back up disk, so I still have my old backups available.

My old backups were 2TB of size, so I did not want to use Windows Explorer for the copying.
I googled and decided to try / use Tera Copy, so I can pause/resume the process if some problem arises.

Now, this transfer started out fine, with speeds of about 80mb/s.
I left the computer overnight, but on the next day, I realized the speed had come down very, very much. I think it was like 500kb/s.

The whole system seems a bit unstable, the new hdd aspect.
Sometimes I open diskmgmt and it hangs on 'loading disk information'.
My computer basically froze 2 times, it must somehow be connected to whatever's going on here with my copy/pasting or the mouning of a close to 4TB VHD.
Had to hard restart once without dismounting the VHD or the vera crypt volume first, because the whole system broke down and I could not access diskmgt anymore to eject the VHD.

When I rebooted though, I was able to mount everything again and continue the copy process in Tera Copy.

I thought maybe Tera Copy is at fault, but when I paused Tera Copy and tried out the normal Windows Copy/Paste, it was even slower than Tera Copy, like 300kb/s.

Does anyone have any tips I could try out?
I disabled indexing on the Vera Crypt volume and the VHD.
I dont have any other processes doing any kind of copying or anything like that. No antivirus scan in the background or the like.

Sometimes, when I eject the VHD and then the Vera Crypt volume, and then re-mount everything, it will start out with a better speed (like 9mb/s), but then it slows down again to 200kb/s - 500kb/s.

The copy process is still going on, and the ETA is like 18 days :-/
Let me know if I forgot to supply some important information.
Would really appreciate any tip or help !

Thank you.

Solution
"Whole External Disk Encrypted, then a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) on Win7"
lol, what!? why?

Why would you encrypt your drive?

Encryption will always slow you down.
If your VHD solution is recognisable in windows then I'd bet that the contents of that drive aren't encrypted.

Your issue is the order of the steps you've taken.
1st - format the drive to get it back to normal (no encryption, no data, etc.)
2nd - Copy the contents of the other drive into the new one (It will transfer very fast)
3rd - use windows to backup your PC
4th - Encrypt the drive when it's full and you are ready to store it for a rainy day.

If you must use encryption the I would just use the one that's native to Windows. BitLocker will keep your data safe AND it's...
"Whole External Disk Encrypted, then a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) on Win7"
lol, what!? why?

Why would you encrypt your drive?

Encryption will always slow you down.
If your VHD solution is recognisable in windows then I'd bet that the contents of that drive aren't encrypted.

Your issue is the order of the steps you've taken.
1st - format the drive to get it back to normal (no encryption, no data, etc.)
2nd - Copy the contents of the other drive into the new one (It will transfer very fast)
3rd - use windows to backup your PC
4th - Encrypt the drive when it's full and you are ready to store it for a rainy day.

If you must use encryption the I would just use the one that's native to Windows. BitLocker will keep your data safe AND it's native to windows so backup and file transfers happen without issues.

Apparently this is a known issue with BitLocker:
"BitLocker does not contain an intentionally built-in backdoor; without a backdoor there is no way for law enforcement to have a guaranteed passage to the data on the user's drives."

Keep in mind... BitLocker or ANY other type of encryption will slow you down.

Solution