Extremely Low Temps! Are these fine?

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
This is a C521 with a AMD Athlon X2 5200+. Usually I trust SpeedFan, its pretty accurate. But my CPU is at 4C? IS this right?

untitled-3.jpg

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Looks like your board is not sending the right signal to Speedfan. If you're really concerned, you can try Coretemp, or Realtemp instead. You can also update the BIOS so that Speedfan can recognize the readings.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009

????? :heink:

I tried nTune, and it shows the "core" to be 40c. I can't tell which ones right. I'm pretty sure the chipset is a Nvidia 430

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah 4c is correct.

You have one of the new AMD chips that actually CONSUME heat and make everything cold. The harder you push it and OC it the colder it gets. Be careful of condensation. The heat sink in this case is used to HEAT the cpu, so if it gets too cold you will need a bigger one to warm things up.

You know what they say about stupid questions...

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Wow. This guy is either a troll, or very dumb. We should take bets as to which it is.

mrmez

Splendid
Yup, common sense.
Take a moment to think things thru. U will be amazed what you can come up with.

For example...

-My room temp is 25c
-My cpu requires a heatsink. Why? Because it creates HEAT.

Using those two simple facts we draw the following conclusions...
At rest (ie turned off), each individual component in my computer system should be 25c. Yes metal FEELS colder, but thats just physics.
Now as soon as we apply electrical current to a device, like a cpu, its gonna generate heat. Hence the need to dissipate that heat via a heatsink. So... this device that generates heat cannot POSSIBLY be colder than room temperature, and certainly nowhere NEAR freezing.

If all else fails crack the case open and feel the side of the chip or heatsink. If it doesnt feel freezing, it probably isnt.

Then Blame Canada for the low temps.

:kaola:

Am I the only one noticing this:

Found HDS728080PLA380 (80.00GB)

Looks like its not reading the CPU but that, which looks to be a HDD. but still 4C for a HDD is kinda low unless its in sleep mode..... but it wouldn't be able to read temp in sleep mode, would it?

randomizer

Champion
Run CPU-Z and see if your CPU is a Brisbane core and a G1 or G2 stepping (or revision as it says in CPU-Z). If it is, you'll never get accurate core temps because the Digital Thermal Sensors in those particular CPUs are flawed and report stupidly low temperatures. Although this is not the cause of your original problem.

@jimmysmitty: SMART is not.

So SMART is still on even when in sleep/low power mode meaning its possible it was reading his HDD or an extra HDD instead of the temp. Or at least it seems that way because my Speedfan never had my HDD listed, just my CPU.

TRENDING THREADS