[SOLVED] Extremely odd behaviour from my pc when I attempt to play a select few of my games!

Jun 17, 2021
I've run to some odd issues of late, and I'm not exactly sure what the issue is (although I have some suspicions). When I attempt to play some of my games (Yakuza 7, overwatch, rainbow six siege, and payday 2), my pc will freeze and lose signal to my main monitor (however, my secondary display will stay on). So far, I've reinstalled windows and my GPU drivers, ran multiple PSU tests with OCCT, did a memory test with memtest, ran haven & 3dmark & a GPU stress test through OCCT. Most of these came out clear with only one exception. During one of my PSU stress tests, OCCT informed me that a WHEA error occurred. These issues continued even after cleaning my pc. I will note, this problem does not occur if I ran these games with only one monitor active. I've come up with three possible issues, my GPU is dying (which I am in denial of), my PSU is not functioning how it should be, or maybe it's my display port cable causing my pc to freak out.
Also, I've noticed that sometimes my main monitor will have a slightly noticeable breathing effect of going slightly lighter and slightly dark (in a loop).
Can someone help me with this issue?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My specs: (NO OC DONE)
CPU: AMD 3700x
GPU: EVGA SUPER XC ULTRA GEFORCE 2070 super
Ram: 16 GBS 3000mhz ddr4
MB: ASUS TUF WIFI X570
PSU: Corsair RM750

Solution
So based off your advice, I went ahead and got a replacement DP cable, however, my issues still persist. Oddly enough, if I launch, for example, rainbow six siege, on my secondary monitor(60hz with an HDMI cable) it works completely fine. However, when I switch it to my main monitor (144hz with DP cable) it doesn't work. I'll include a link to a video I took so you guys can get a better idea of what's happening! (in this video I have both monitors set to 60hz).
VIDEO: https://streamable.com/1u2of3

If the 2nd monitor works fine via HDMI I doubt the monitor is the source of the failure. Are you able to use DP on the secondary monitor? If so, try it and see what happens using the main monitor (the one misbehaving). It...
Initial and cheapest thing to try first is replacement of your Display Port cable. With you getting the breathing effect going lighter and darker and vise versa that's an indication that something is up either in the cable, your GPU, or the monitor. A quick test you can do is swap cables from the other monitor to this one and see if the issue remains on your main monitor or moves to the 2nd. If it moves, you know the issue isn't your monitor (Yay for you!)

ak195

Distinguished
You have mentioned WHEA on PSU stress test. WHEA is caused by hardware issue normally includes CPU, Motherboard, or PSU.
Now Below can be issues:
  • Motherboard internal damage
  • PSU goes to faulty line
  • Too much overclocking
  • Wrong BIOS voltage setting

hedwar2011 is right and you should go from cheapest solution. Change your cable (because of breathing effect you mentioned), then test another monitor, still same issue, then test your GPU on another system. And at the last PSU comes.

Jun 17, 2021
Initial and cheapest thing to try first is replacement of your Display Port cable. With you getting the breathing effect going lighter and darker and vise versa that's an indication that something is up either in the cable, your GPU, or the monitor. A quick test you can do is swap cables from the other monitor to this one and see if the issue remains on your main monitor or moves to the 2nd. If it moves, you know the issue isn't your monitor (Yay for you!)

You have mentioned WHEA on PSU stress test. WHEA is caused by hardware issue normally includes CPU, Motherboard, or PSU.
Now Below can be issues:
  • Motherboard internal damage
  • PSU goes to faulty line
  • Too much overclocking
  • Wrong BIOS voltage setting
hedwar2011 is right and you should go from cheapest solution. Change your cable (because of breathing effect you mentioned), then test another monitor, still same issue, then test your GPU on another system. And at the last PSU comes.

So based off your advice, I went ahead and got a replacement DP cable, however, my issues still persist. Oddly enough, if I launch, for example, rainbow six siege, on my secondary monitor(60hz with an HDMI cable) it works completely fine. However, when I switch it to my main monitor (144hz with DP cable) it doesn't work. I'll include a link to a video I took so you guys can get a better idea of what's happening! (in this video I have both monitors set to 60hz).

If the 2nd monitor works fine via HDMI I doubt the monitor is the source of the failure. Are you able to use DP on the secondary monitor? If so, try it and see what happens using the main monitor (the one misbehaving). It honestly sounds like something is up with the DP port going from your GPU to the monitor as the problem doesn't present unless you move it to that particular connection. Are you able to try any other connections on your main monitor (HDMI mainly) to see if it still does it?

Solution