Extremely Odd RAM problem.

Sep 21, 2018
Motherboard--MSI B350 Tomahawk
RAM--Ballistix DDR4 2400 8gb x 1, 4gb x 1
OS--Windows 10
GPU--Zotac 1060 6Gb AMP!
CPU--Ryzen 1700 @3.9Ghz

So, I've been running dual channel RAM, they're both the same brand, same speed, but different sizes, one being 4GB, the other 8GB These two generally get along okay, running in dual channel at 12 gigs as I expect. It would have a problem, However, where after booting I would be required to unseat the RAM module in the 1DIMM, boot the computer, let it recognize the RAM change and run the setup, turn it off, reseat it, and do it all again before booting into windows. That would allow it to work. As of late, I changed my CPU cooler to an aftermarket one, got it finished, and booted her back up. Problem is, BIOS says i'm only registering the RAM slot in 1DIMM and will refuse to count 3DIMM as a valid stick. If I go into memory specifications on my BIOS, it still recognizes the 3DIMM stick and gives the size on it. It just refuses to put it in. If I try to run the RAM in 2/3DIMM the CPU and DRAM debug lights will be on and it will refuse to post 0/1DIMM work fine, but obviously, I want to run them in Dual channel, so that won't work. Any help would be Appreciated!

Sep 21, 2018

I said I did that, although I should've been more specific, I assume.
"If I try to run the RAM in 2/3DIMM the CPU and DRAM debug lights will be on and it will refuse to post 0/1DIMM work fine, but obviously, I want to run them in Dual channel, so that won't work." What I meant is either 2/3 by themselves.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

If the PC boots up you may try some workarounds to get extra memory to work.
1) Lower clock speed
2) Increase DRAM voltage
3) Relax DRAM timings

Sep 21, 2018

I'm afraid you might not of read through this all the way. I have tried them by themselves on those slots and it does not work.