Extremely poor performance after graphics card fan cleaning

Jul 6, 2018
I play FIFA 18 regularly on my PC. I almost never have a problem with the settings maxed out at 1080p res. However, recently i've picked up a 2k monitor. Since then it's been a tad glitchy even when i scale it down to 1080p. Under these settings, the game is by no means unplayable. I decided to clean up my processor and GPU fans as I hadn't done it in almost a year. Right after I put it all back together, the computer seems to run just fun, however, FIFA is extremely stuttery and glitchy. It has a very poor frame rate and is pretty much unplayable. the game runs almost normal for the first 5 mins, but right after it becomes unbearable. Can any one of you help with what's going on? (I've unplugged and re-plugged the fans and cards back in twice now).

Please note that while i have a dedicated GPU, the integrated graphics chip is always runni above 85c! and the TMPIN2 core temps are always above 90c! Is this normal?

Here are my in game temperature stats after just 5 mins of running it -

http://imgur.com/LJMwypU

Solution

Your CPU is overheating, causing the problem.

You need to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and refit the heatsink. Make sure the cpu fan is plugged back in.
Jul 6, 2018

I removed the fan from the GPU, not the heat-sink, but I did remove the heat sink and fan from the CPU. no I didn't reapply the thermal paste.

Jul 6, 2018

the moment I enter the game all 4 cores hit 100c while GPU cores are in the 40s. Mind you, it's not even 5 minutes into the game!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You need to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and refit the heatsink. Make sure the cpu fan is plugged back in.

Solution
Jul 6, 2018

You need to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and refit the heatsink. Make sure the cpu fan is plugged back in.[/quotemsg]

I'll give that a shot. A quick technical question however, doesn't the GPU takeover processing work when you enter a game/graphics intensive program? Why should the CPU be stressed under gaming? Or do I have this wrong?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You have it wrong. The GPU does the graphics and a lot of the physics processing, but it relys on the CPU to run the game and feed the GPU with data.

If your CPU is overheating, it will throttle performance to save it self, this causes a massive bottleneck and makes it unable to keep the GPU fed with data.

CPU performance is still very important with gaming.

Jul 6, 2018

Ah! that makes sense. I'll do that and let you know. Thanks a lot in advance. I really hope it works!

Jul 6, 2018

So it's definitely a bit of a mixed box. Now the thermal paste has definitely lowered temps. However, my game is still got glitches. Not nearly as bad as it was earlier, but definitely very noticeable. Visibly poor frame-rates. Not sure what's going on here!

Also while gaming my core temps hit 90c+ consistently.I can definitely see the CPU throttling happening here.

I have another question if you don't mind, considering that my CPU is the one that's overheating, would it making a difference if I bought say a GTX 1050ti? Or would the throttling still occur while I get visibly better graphics? I'm a bit confused as to how that'd work. I don't have the budget to upgrade CPU, motherboard & GPU as this is a bit unexpected.

Thanks for all your help, btw. :)

Jul 6, 2018
So i was just checking again and i noticed that the temps are up to no good again! CPU temps at 90c constantly under 25-30% utilisation! (All cores). What's going on!? No tasks running or anything.

Jul 6, 2018

It's just regular old stock cooler. Thing is, the only thing i play frequent is Fifa, and this has never happened before. I have been using this setup for about 3 years now.

Well obviously the temps you are getting are less than desirable so the only outcomes are either you aren't mounting the cooler properly, there's something going amiss with the thermal paste application or the fan on the heatsink is not operating. If you are using the stock heatsink I would be looking to get a cheap replacement as it will probably be better for both temps and noise generated. Cryorig h7 or 212 evo are cheap but popular choices.

Jul 6, 2018

Hey, thanks for the reply! I finally fixed the issue. So i opened it up again after i applied the thermal paste and everything. I noticed that the paste wasn't evenly distributed. there was basically a dollop in the middle and it hadn't smeared evenly. I sorted that out and rebooted, and BOOM! Instant drop in temperature. Fifa is beautiful again!