Extremely Poor Skyrim Performance (9FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevieboy21

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
My goal is to play Skyrim at above 20 FPS on my machine. Currently, with all of the settings on "Low" with no AA or texture filtering, no Vsync, and with all of the settings in my video card console set to "High Performance" I can only manage to get 9 to 12 FPS -- and I tell you the graphics look very bare-bone and featureless, nothing at all like the screen shots that I've seen from other players. My machine specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.70 GHz - 512 SD RAM - Verto GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128 MB - 250 watt PSU - 100 Gig HD

I have ordered another 512 SD ram to give me a whopping 1024 MB total system memory. My hope is that this will give my system the needed resources to play above 20 FPS, and maybe even give me the power to play at a smooth 30 FPS with some of the settings turned up. But I must say, I am a little disappointed in my GPU, the manufacturer promised "The industries best image quality for the most demanding applications!" and all of that other hoopla, however I am definitely not seeing that sort of quality in Skyrim. I can barely make out the characters in the game as human, but rather as walking slabs of blurred colour -- and the draw distance is so reduced, objects and characters materialize within feet of my character -- I feel as if I am rather playing in a spectral world of Ghostrim.

Can anyone suggest another upgrade I might try to boost my performance? I was thinking about upgrading to a bigger hard drive so that the game can utilize more virtual memory and page files. Should I think about Overclocking my CPU? What do you think?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Did you read the system specs on the box first?
Man you can barely run the os on that system...lol
Please do us all a favour and only post with relavent questions!!!
We are here to help with problems but cannot make miracles happen!

steve dont know how old you are but if your not an adult and this is one of your home pc. it time to replace it. right now your pc is good for web and word and that about it. i would cancel the ram order and look to put some money aside for a pc. if your low on funds then look to build a amd system with the fx-2 mb and cpu. then toss in a better gpu latter on. the game you want to play is hard on hardware and if you want to see all the bells and whistle of the game. going to need a good i5 or i7 cpu and a 670/680 gpu. looking at 200-300 for the cpu and 300-500 for a gpu. plus the other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.