I have a new issue with a 1 year old build. Here are the specs:

PC Specs
CPU: i7-8700k @ 3.70 GHz
GPU: nVidia Geforce RTX 2080 ti FE
MOBO: ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2x8) DDR4-F4-4000C19D-16GTZ
PS: Corsair RMx 1000 W 80+
SSD/HD:
  1. Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 (primary drive)
  2. Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  3. Samsung ST31000528A S 1TB

As per this Thread I was experiencing BSODs occasionally with this PC. In the process of troubleshooting this issue I have appeared to have solved the BSODs but have caused a newer slightly more frustrating issue. When I turn on or reset my computer it takes upwards of 5 minutes to get to the windows "loading" screen. Once it gets to the windows logo and circle of dots in quickly finishes up and takes me to the login and then the computer runs fine with 0 issues. No more BSODs even. However, before windows loads, I'm greeted with the Asus RoG screen where it hangs for at least 5 minutes. There is no change if I leave it alone or if I attempt to enter the BIOS. Both options take upwards of 5 minutes.

Now as to what I did in my pursuit of clearing my BSOD issue. I first thought it was a hard drive issue so I downloaded Samsung Magician and it told me my drives were fine. So I then decided maybe it was a BIOS issue So I updated to the most recent version. This is when I discovered that my PC would no longer accept my XMP profile, Now I'm not sure when the long boot time actually began but I think it was around this step in my whole process. Because I preferred having the XMP profile enabled and it seemed to work on an older BIOS version I decided I would try an older version of my BIOS. I wasn't sure what my stock version was though so I just picked a slightly older version than the most recent. This is where I first noticed the slow boot. Next, to try and remedy the slow boot I flashed my bios. This had no effect. Then I thought maybe it was a bad memory stick. So I decided to test each stick and each DIMM slot one by one. After exhausting every configuration, I had no change in my boot times. My next thought was maybe it was a hard drive. So I disconnected every extra drive save the primary 970 pro. Still no change to the boot time.

Any ideas, questions would be greatly appreciated. I realize this might be a bit rambly so if you need any clarifications just let me know.

Last edited:

MalooTakant

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Some things I forgot to mention. I reformatted and reinstalled windows on the 970 Pro along with updating my BIOS again to the most up to date version.

Both of these had no effect on the boot time.