Question Extremely slow download speed but normal upload speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2018
Hey guys. My download speed is extremely slow. like really really slow. but my upload speed is ok. I just called my isp and they said I seem to be getting normal speed which is 50 mb/s but when I run tests it shows a ridiculous 993 kb/s download speed and a normal 2.2 mb/s upload speed. I have a ps4 connected via ethernet cable and iphone using wifi both indicatin very similar reaults. btw the router is huawei hg658c v2.

any idea what’s going on?

Reactions: myasser2013
Has the download always been slow or did this just start out of the blue? Did you change anything around the time this started?

I assume you have tried bandwidth tests from a couple different places(speedtest.net, speedtest.googlefiber.net, DSLReports, etc) and all show the same result. Do you have any other devices on the network that you can test with? Assuming all device show the same result (which I would expect since the PS4 and iPhone already do) and since your ISP has run basic tests on your line, then I think the culprit is most likely the router (or modem, if you have one).

Router issues can be software or hardware. If it's hardware, then replacement is the only real option. Simple software faults can be corrected by restarting the router. The next step up is a factory reset (make sure to note any special settings, passwords, etc because they will be reset). If that doesn't work, I would test with another router ... maybe something that can be easily returned if the issue ends up something else. Was your router provided by your ISP? What is their replacement policy if a router is faulty?

Jun 26, 2018
Hi again. I recently got the router. it’s new but the issue has been around for a while.

I use the modem provided by the isp and I didn’t change anything. I tried resetting the modem but nothing changed. I did test the connection using a different device but the result is the same.

2 Routers doing the same thing makes me wonder about the modem (especially now that i know you have one) ... have you ever plugged a device directly into the modem and tested that way? Most modems have admin page that you can log into ... have you ever looked at that to see what your connection statistics are?

Jun 26, 2018
here’s my dsl stats. I’m not sure if that’s helpful or not though.

Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Upstream CRC errors:
Downstream CRC errors:
Channel type:
Fast

nothing changed when I directly plugged my device to tge modem.

Jun 26, 2018
I guess that’s my only option. so we agree that there’s no problem with the line or the cables between the main box and my router. it has to be the modem. Thanks anotherdrew! I really appreciate it.

Reactions: myasser2013
Status
Not open for further replies.