RColin

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
Hey,

So I recently moved from my apartment, and I now have an outrageously slow rig.

Here are the stats:
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @3.2GHz
RAM: 24GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary
GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 960
HDD: 932GB Western Digital

After I moved, I plugged everything in as per usual, booted up Doom 2016, and noticed the screen was a bit off, so I made some changes to the resolution in the game settings (I know, I know, it would probably be helpful if I could recall exactly what changes I made... but here we are). As soon as I saved the changes, my monitor went dead and I got a "monitor out of range" notification. I ended up able to return my game to default settings, but the next time I booted the game it was extremely slow and unplayably choppy.

When I look at the task manager, it looks as though the CPU is running 100 degrees, but I don't see how making changes to the in-game video settings would affect system-wide CPU performance to this extent.

I spoke with a work friend IT guy who suggested turning off adaptive sync in the game, which I did, but it made literally no difference. I even reinstalled the game to see if that might help, but it didn't.

When I'm in-game, it's so choppy I can hardly move my mouse around to navigate to settings. It's a little better out of game, but not great. When the game isn't running, the computer seems to run fine.

Any suggestions on what might cause such a drastic decrease in performance? Before I moved, the game was running just fine at near-highest video settings, and now I can't even load the game. Literally just to load into the game would take 20+ minutes. I'm going to try play another game to see if it's something game-specific, but given how long it's taken me to do that makes me thing it's something system-wide.

Since you moved, its highly likely that some components have shifted out of place. I'd recommend re-seating the gpu, ram, power cables and checking if there is any wiggling between the cpu and cooler. I'd go ahead re-install the cpu cooler with new thermal paste if it's running at 100C anyways.