Question Extremely slow LAN internet on PC, other PC's on network work fine

Jul 15, 2019
Hi, I'm hoping some one can help me, I'm at my wits end. As of about a week ago, my desktop computer connected via LAN has been exeriencing periodic network slowdowns. These lasted about 5 minutes, and occured around several times an hour with no real pattern. During these slowdowns the network was still connected, and showing as having internet access, but with practically zero bandwith. Speed test would time out without starting, new pages wouldnt load. However if I was already playing a multiplayer game with a mate, or on voice chat, it wouldnt drop out, and both still worked fine. During these events my house mate who is also on LAN was still receiving internet correctly, albeit possibly a bit slower than normal.

I kinda convinced my self that my housemate was lying about not being as affected, and contacted my ISP, who ran tests from their side but couldn't identify anything specific wrong with the network. They did suggest that it could be the old generic Telstra modem that I was still using that was causing the issue, and recomended that I purchase a new router, which I have done. I bought a TP-link Archer VR600, and have set it up. However now it is worse than before. Rather than having it work perfectly 90% of the time, I am now getting between 0 and .5 mbps constantly. The Wifi works fine on my phone, and my house mate is getting 50mbps with his lan connection.

I have run virus scans looking for any malware that could be causing it and found none. I have updated the motherboard LAN drivers, and no change. I have looked at the task manager and resource monitor to see if there is something hogging bandwith, and nothing is. In fact nothing goes over 1mpbs at all. I have tested with my house mates LAN cable that works fine for him, and I have the same issue. I am not great with networks, so I've been following guides I've found online, but I think I've reached the end of what I can do solo. The only thing left I can think to test is to get a wifi card and see how that works, but I would have to purchase one, and as I am currently unemployed I'd rather not if it can be avoided. Can any one please help me?

Update: My house mate has a switch usb to ethernet adaptor, and when that is connected it is just as slow as when connected via the ethernet port. Hopefully this rules out a motherboard issuse.

Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z270-AR (LGA1151)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019
I have just switched back to the old router, one provided by Telstra my ISP, model number F@st 5355, and my internet is back working at 50 mbs. I presume the slow downs will still be occuring. I would much rather use the new router I puchased as I am not able to return it, but dont know what to change or to test next. Can anyone please help me?

Jul 8, 2019
Hello! What kind of Ethernet cabling are you using? How is it run from your PC and your mate's PC to the switch portion of the router? Do you have the wires running in parallel with power lines inside your home?