[SOLVED] Extremely slow POST, SSD, HDD and BIOS

Nov 23, 2019
Hello,

I have a unusual problem. First I noticed that POST is very slow, and then that large files opening is very slow. Tests showed that SSD was almost 10x slower than it should be, the hard drives 3-4 times slower and everything else quite normal. I thought the cause was some BIOS settings so I went to look and found a BIOS (UEFI) that barely works (fan animations were frozen, the data was refreshing on every 10 or 20 seconds and moveing trought navigation was almost impossible).

I unplugged the SSD and HDD, moved the RAM (changed slots, put one at a time), unplugged case front panel (USB ports, audio ports, start and reset buttons), fans, reset the BIOS to default ... Nothing.

I removed the battery, started the computer and everything worked fine - fast POST, fast BIOS, fast SSD and HDD, but only until the first restart. I replaced the battery but nothing changed.

To eliminate the operating system as a problem, I unplugged the SSD with Windows, removed the battery and started computer - BIOS worked great after removing the battery, but after restart it was slow again.

Suspicion fell on the power supply. As I noticed that after computer turning on, the fans lightly start, stop and then restart along with the hard drives, I was sure that the problem is PSU (CM G550M, under warranty). I bought a new power supply but that didn't solved the problem.

I updated the BIOS with the latest version, I updated the Intel ME drivers and firmware (passed the test), but the problem remained.

Any idea?

CPU: i5-6600K @4,4 GHz + LC CC 120
MB: Asus Z170-A
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
HDD: WD6400AAKS
DVD±RW: Samsung SH-S203
CASE: ColerMaster Centurion 5
PSU: ColerMaster G550M, now FSP HEXA 85+ 450W
(GPU: none)

Solution
You should try to remove the HDD, then reboot the PC to see what happens, most of time, the HDD has problem to cause the PC runs slower.

If it is not this case, you want to check the SSD and the HDD S.M.A.R.T. by the samsung ssd software.

And go into the BIOS, in pc hardware monitor or health monitor section, to check the +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V voltage, you want to see those voltages reading are within +/- 5%, like +3.3V, it should be 3.1V to 3.4V, if they are not, your PSU has problem.

Also run the SFC ( System File Checker ) or even reinstall the win7.
How to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
You should try to remove the HDD, then reboot the PC to see what happens, most of time, the HDD has problem to cause the PC runs slower.

If it is not this case, you want to check the SSD and the HDD S.M.A.R.T. by the samsung ssd software.

And go into the BIOS, in pc hardware monitor or health monitor section, to check the +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V voltage, you want to see those voltages reading are within +/- 5%, like +3.3V, it should be 3.1V to 3.4V, if they are not, your PSU has problem.

Also run the SFC ( System File Checker ) or even reinstall the win7.
How to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Solution