Extremely Slow Simultaneous Downloads?

Bloodytosser

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
So I bought a new laptop, it has a Realtek RTL8188E wifi card. If I try and download more than one file from any site, or just be downloading 1 file and accessing other webpages at the same time, everything loads painfully slow or not at all. As soon as the download is finished, web browsing returns to normal. When it is slow, there are no resources being heavily used. (according to the resource monitor)

This does not happen on any other computer. Could there be some sort of bandwidth limiter? The odd thing is that; say if I am downloading 2 files at once, the download speeds are not cut in half, I mean they cut down to literally 60 kbps, my ISP is consistently at 30 Mbps and wifi connection is steady at 150 Mbps.

If I try downloading 1 file and not doing anything else, it will download at the full 2-3 MBps speed, but as soon as I try doing ANYTHING else involving LAN/WAN connections on this computer, that's when it slows to a crawl. IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! (sorry for the yelling but it's frustrating)

Specs:
Toshiba Satellite L70
i3-4000
6GB ram
Toshiba HDD
Realtek RTL8188E wireless N
Win 7 Pro x64

Solution
What router do you have? The usual bottleneck here is LAN throughput. For it to drop so much may be the fault of your wireless router as much as that of your laptop (unless the other PCs where this doesn't happen are also wireless).
You might check for updated drivers from Toshiba.
What router do you have? The usual bottleneck here is LAN throughput. For it to drop so much may be the fault of your wireless router as much as that of your laptop (unless the other PCs where this doesn't happen are also wireless).
You might check for updated drivers from Toshiba.

Solution

Bloodytosser

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. I have a netgear N600 with 2 Win 8 machines and a Ubuntu laptop without this issue. The win 8 machines continually run into a "limited" connection status, but that happens on other networks and is a different (and stupid) thread altogether.

In any case I updated the driver manually from toshibas website, and for now at least, its running fast and I tested with 2 large downloads and they were both fast... strange. I used the pre-installed toshiba updating program and it said it was up to date so I didn't think to check anywhere else. I should have thought of going to the website though.
During the driver update I got some crazy audio glitches. It kept going "ding,ding,ding,ding" at a very fast rate. The same noise when you finish adjusting the audio on the slider. I've never seen that before.