[SOLVED] Extremely slow/unable to access HDDs

Apr 5, 2021
i7-4770K
MSI Z87-G45 motherboard
16G RAM
Radeon R9 270x
Samsung SSD (w/OS)
2x 1TB HDD

I've had a series of problems over the last few months that seem to revolve around difficulties accessing hard disk data. First one of the disks would vanish from explorer. The cables around the SATA connections are pretty cramped, so i figured it was a loose connection. Checked those, and then it worked fine. Except that I would have to repeat this procedure every week or so, and then just about every day. Occassionally it wouldn't work, and it would sit on the A2 post code forever (IDE check). Windows takes even longer. If it made it into windows, I could see the drives, but trying to access them in any way took minutes to hours. I replaced all the SATA cables, whiched seemed to work for a few days, but here I am again with the same problems. The last time (a few days ago) that I had the system running with full access to the drives, HDSentinel showed that all the drives looked great, 95-100% health. Everything boots absolutely fine with the HDDs disconnected. BIOS recognizes the disks, but mousing over the SATA connections in the "board explorer" just freezes up everything.

It's not the cables. I'd like to think both drives didn't fail at the same time, though they're old enough, and HDsentinel showed no problem. I'm worried that the motherboard SATA ports are somehow responsible, but not sure how likely that is. I'm thinking my next step is getting a USB to SATA adapter to confirm the disks are functional (I have no other system to check them with), but I figure someone here may have some other ideas.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
Hadn't thought to try that before; did so just now. No change. Still a few minutes to clear A2. Could be hours to boot windows, if at all.
Based on it's age.
Remove the bios battery.
Take it to the store and buy a replacement.
Install the new battery.
Enter the bios and verify the settings.......test
i7-4770K
MSI Z87-G45 motherboard
16G RAM
Radeon R9 270x
Samsung SSD (w/OS)
2x 1TB HDD

I've had a series of problems over the last few months that seem to revolve around difficulties accessing hard disk data. First one of the disks would vanish from explorer. The cables around the SATA connections are pretty cramped, so i figured it was a loose connection. Checked those, and then it worked fine. Except that I would have to repeat this procedure every week or so, and then just about every day. Occassionally it wouldn't work, and it would sit on the A2 post code forever (IDE check). Windows takes even longer. If it made it into windows, I could see the drives, but trying to access them in any way took minutes to hours. I replaced all the SATA cables, whiched seemed to work for a few days, but here I am again with the same problems. The last time (a few days ago) that I had the system running with full access to the drives, HDSentinel showed that all the drives looked great, 95-100% health. Everything boots absolutely fine with the HDDs disconnected. BIOS recognizes the disks, but mousing over the SATA connections in the "board explorer" just freezes up everything.

It's not the cables. I'd like to think both drives didn't fail at the same time, though they're old enough, and HDsentinel showed no problem. I'm worried that the motherboard SATA ports are somehow responsible, but not sure how likely that is. I'm thinking my next step is getting a USB to SATA adapter to confirm the disks are functional (I have no other system to check them with), but I figure someone here may have some other ideas.

Thanks for your help!
Did you also reseat the power cables to the hdd's?
Both ends if they are modular.

Apr 5, 2021
Decided to check each SATA port. Turns out the SSD boots fine by itself in any port, and adding either HDD in any port gives the same problems as before. Looks like I might just be getting new drives. I'll try and confirm the drives with a usb adapter or with another system.

If anyone sees this and has another idea, let me know.

TRENDING THREADS