[SOLVED] Extremely Slow Wifi but fine Ethernet speed

Puggo1

Commendable
Jul 30, 2017
Hello,

I recently have started having an issue with my WIfi connection at my home. My Ethernet speeds are fine, but my Wifi has absolutely plummeted. I'm getting 40MBPS down on my Ethernet connection and 2MBPS down over Wifi. I was thinking that my old modem routers wifi had died, so I went and purchased a new modem with still slow Wifi speeds.

My new modem is the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. I'm using both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. There are no new electrical or even non electrical appliances in the house. We live in a rural area with no new Wifi networks from neighbours as they are far away.

My question is, is Wifi something t hat can be related to my ISP? I was always under the impression Wifi was router controlled and had no control by the ISP.

Not expecting any miracles here, but any help or advice would be so much appreciated as I'm seriously at a loss here.

Thanks

Solution
If your wired speeds are fine, then it is not an ISP issue.
Start by turning off "auto" for your WIFI configs. Manually select a 2.4Ghz channel (1, 6, 11). Same with your 5Ghz (start in the 30s or 40s).
Use software like WIFI Analyzer -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en to allow you to visualize the wireless environment you are living in. If you see dozens of competing WIFI signals, then you will be throughput challenged.
What device are you using to test throughput? Is it connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

kanewolf

Titan
Start by turning off "auto" for your WIFI configs. Manually select a 2.4Ghz channel (1, 6, 11). Same with your 5Ghz (start in the 30s or 40s).
Use software like WIFI Analyzer -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en to allow you to visualize the wireless environment you are living in. If you see dozens of competing WIFI signals, then you will be throughput challenged.
What device are you using to test throughput? Is it connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

Solution

Puggo1

Commendable
Jul 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Huawei Y9 Prime smartphone to test the connection but only on the 2.4Ghz network. On my wife's phone I've tested the 5Ghz all to slow speeds.

I have changed all channels on my router to no avail. The Wifi analyser showed no competing AP's.

Thanks again,

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Huawei Y9 Prime smartphone to test the connection but only on the 2.4Ghz network. On my wife's phone I've tested the 5Ghz all to slow speeds.

I have changed all channels on my router to no avail. The Wifi analyser showed no competing AP's.

Thanks again,
I would factory reset the router. Set just the WIFI password, admin password and WIFI channels. Test again.
Do you have the latest firmware?

Puggo1

Commendable
Jul 30, 2017
I would factory reset the router. Set just the WIFI password, admin password and WIFI channels. Test again.
I do have the latest firmware. I also noticed upon changing wireless channels or rebooting the router I get a burst of speed that would be what I'd expect the speed to be, then it slows down and gets a tonne of jitter on the line. I will factory reset the router and see if that helps.

Thanks so much

Puggo1

Commendable
Jul 30, 2017
I also noticed that my upload speeds over Wifi are fine. They are similar to the upload I get over Ethernet. Could this be ISP related?

As stated above, if Ethernet speed is fine (upload and download), this issue has nothing to do with your ISP.

How many and what types of devices do you have on wifi? Any new devices recenenty (such as a new PS4, laptop, Roku, wifi TV, etc) or services (Netflix, Hulu, etc)?