Extremely Slow WiFi Speeds

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone,
I recently returned my rented gateway back to my ISP (Xfinity) so that I could save some money with my own modem and router. I went thrift store and Craigslist shopping, and thought I came up with some great finds. However, now my internet speeds are extremely poor and well under what I should be receiving. I've tried two different routers. Ethernet speeds are less than they used to be, but still acceptable. It's just the wireless speeds that are awful.

Helpful Information (numbers in MBPS)
ISP Package Speed: Up to 250
Speeds on Old Gateway: 150-180 (Ethernet) 120-150 (5GHz WiFi)
Speed Directly from Modem: 133 (Ethernet)
Speed from Router (same general speed for both routers): 90 (Ethernet) 10 (5GHz WiFi)

Equipment
Old Gateway: Arris TG862G/CT DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Channels 343+343Mbps
Modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 4x4 Channels
Router 1: Cisco Linksys E2500 N600 Dual Band 300+300Mbps
Router 2: Netgear WNDR3400v2 N600 Dual Band 300+300Mbps

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it :)

Edit: I will splurge and buy something new if I need to, but I'd like to try this first and at least figure out what my issue is.

Solution
Your wired is limited because the E2500 and WNDR3400v2 both have only fast ethernet ports. That will limit your total throughput to 90Mbit. Bad choices for 250Mbit ISP package. The WIFI specs of the old unit and the new are similar. It may just be that the routers you purchased were old and crappy to start with. Get an Asus RT-AC68U or a Netgear R7000. Those will be more appropriate for your ISP paid for level.

kanewolf

Titan
Your wired is limited because the E2500 and WNDR3400v2 both have only fast ethernet ports. That will limit your total throughput to 90Mbit. Bad choices for 250Mbit ISP package. The WIFI specs of the old unit and the new are similar. It may just be that the routers you purchased were old and crappy to start with. Get an Asus RT-AC68U or a Netgear R7000. Those will be more appropriate for your ISP paid for level.

Solution

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Alright... I'll look into those. More than I wanted to pay, but that's life I guess. Does it make sense to hold onto the other routers to use as repeaters or access points, or should I try and flip them?

kanewolf

Titan

Those are both available in the used market also. AC68U goes for $60 every day on E-Bay. On a good day you can get one for $45.

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Oh, good to know! Then I'm going to try and flip what I have right now, and I'll see if I can make some cash to invest in those other ones. Would you recommend a modem upgrade as well? Thinking I could use some more channels.

kanewolf

Titan

Ariewok

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

Well, sounds like it's time to just get everything upgraded.

Thoughts on ASUS RT-N65U? I found one on Craigslist for $20.
Edit: Or ASUS RT-AC66R for $40 with a bunch of other junk, could probably get just that router for ~$30

I'll let you go if you're done with me, you've answered my question and been insanely helpful in general. :p

kanewolf

Titan

The N65U is good. I have one in the closet for emergencies and loaning out. The AC66 will probably provide better WIFI since it is an AC rather than an N standard.