Extremely speed loss on main router after installing a repeater.

May 17, 2018
So this already happening for a long time looking for the answer on every thread and couldn't found the answer.
I decided to make this thread.

My problem is,
I have a repeater that i setup to make it different SSID with my main wifi
And then after all settings are done,
I just realize that the speed, ping from my main wifi is extremely decreasing, but if i connect to my repeater wifi, the speed is fast, this is very annoying,i used to watch 1080p youtube without buffering, but with this, i can't even touch 720p without buffering.

I already reset the repeater hoping the speed coming back to my main wifi, but it doesn't work :(

Can someone help me with this?
I just want to have my old connection back, if i need to remove the repeater, thats fine

My main wifi router: HG8245A
And my repeater is: TL-WA830RE

Thank you!

Solution
That is part of the penalty you pay for using a repeater you get more range but less overall speed. Your repeater is intentionally sending out a copy of the data on the same radio channels. This interferes with your main router.

Almost all repeaters require you are on the same radio channel and use the same SSID.

Some of the newer mesh systems are a little smarter they use 1 radio band to talk back to the main router and a second to talk to the end clients. It is better but many times you limit your radio choice for your end devices. In most modern houses it is very hard to get any radio channels that do not have interference from neighbors and find multiple to use is hard....especially if your neighbors are doing the same...
May 17, 2018
Hello stdragon, 1, I just change my main wifi channel into 1

2, i didnt found any way to change my wifi repeater channel, I just see it is on channel 11, should i change it? Is The channel has to be same? Bcs i dont know how to change the channel on the tplink repeater.

That is part of the penalty you pay for using a repeater you get more range but less overall speed. Your repeater is intentionally sending out a copy of the data on the same radio channels. This interferes with your main router.

Almost all repeaters require you are on the same radio channel and use the same SSID.

Some of the newer mesh systems are a little smarter they use 1 radio band to talk back to the main router and a second to talk to the end clients. It is better but many times you limit your radio choice for your end devices. In most modern houses it is very hard to get any radio channels that do not have interference from neighbors and find multiple to use is hard....especially if your neighbors are doing the same thing.

It is always better to use either a ethernet cable to the remote wifi source (ie AP) or use powerline devices and the hook the AP to that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS