[SOLVED] Extremely Strange PC Crashing

Sep 7, 2019
Hi, all.

At the beginning of summer last year, I purchased my very own gaming computer. I played on it all summer with no problems until right after school started back up. One day, my PC randomly just crashed. It wasn't a blue screen or a traditional PC crash, but it just froze and would not unfreeze until I force shut down the PC by pressing the power button on the actual tower itself. This went on for a long time, and still happens to this day. I have managed to pinpoint some patterns in the freezing, however.

-My PC only freezes when I am NOT running a high-performance program

-It stays frozen for a long time, if not forever. (I kept it frozen for 2 hours once to see what would happen)

To prevent the crashing, I basically just load up any game and leave it in the background the whole time I'm using my computer. Right now my game of choice is Overwatch.

This problem drives me crazy and is just one of the many problems I have with this PC. Lesson learned: Build your PC, I guess

Can someone help me?

Solution
Sorry I can't be of exact help, yours is an unusual situation, so it's a guessing game. It could be drivers, but there's no issues when under loads. It could be ram. There's a lot of 'could' and no definitive answers. The only thing reliable is that under low/no loads you get cpu/gpu freezing which can be indicative of low power issues. CyberpowerPC psu. More probabilities with power issues.

Meaning a better (Ryzens prefer balanced power modes, either Ryzen or Windows) more permanent solution may require a better quality psu. A good 550w would be a minimum, a 650w at most with that cpu/gpu combo.
Sep 7, 2019
Hello Roehonn! I am extremely sorry to hear that you are having this problem... My PC also crashed a lot, and what I did to fix it is to get a new computer. Personally, I think your PC's CPU might have deteriorated while gaming. When I used to play Fortnite a lot, this happened to me, and what I ultimately had to get a new PC. I hope I helped! :D

Sep 7, 2019
My PC specs are
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
-AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
-Installed Ram: 16 GB
-64 Bit operating system

Bought it from CyberPower, don't know if that would help.

So far, I've tried cleaning the PC physically, checking for driver updates, and have done all of the normal things you would check for. All of that has done nothing. I have tried monitoring the temperature of the CPU but everything seems normal and regulated, and I have watched multiple videos. The only thing I haven't done that could possibly help is soft reset it. It's a shot in the dark but it might help?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Ryzen. In windows power plans, that should be set for windows balanced. If it's set for Ryzen balanced that might be a cause. You seem to be having lower power mode issues. You could test this by switching temporarily to performance mode.

CyberpowerPC isn't known for including a generous psu choice, often the psu is unbranded or branded junk. If there's an internal issue with low power draw responses, it could be freezing up the gpu.

Clearing cmos might help.

Sep 7, 2019
How would I switch to performance mode? Is it in the "Create a Power Plan" section in the control panel?

Edit: I figured it out, I changed it to "High Performance." I guess I'll just wait and see what happens?
I also see the AMD Ryzem TM Balanced plan there, which I do not have selected. Thanks for the tip!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry I can't be of exact help, yours is an unusual situation, so it's a guessing game. It could be drivers, but there's no issues when under loads. It could be ram. There's a lot of 'could' and no definitive answers. The only thing reliable is that under low/no loads you get cpu/gpu freezing which can be indicative of low power issues. CyberpowerPC psu. More probabilities with power issues.

Meaning a better (Ryzens prefer balanced power modes, either Ryzen or Windows) more permanent solution may require a better quality psu. A good 550w would be a minimum, a 650w at most with that cpu/gpu combo.

Solution
Sep 7, 2019
I've had my PC running for an hour now with no crash and no game running in the background on high performance, so I guess that means that I do need a new power supply... for now should I keep it on high performance or just do the game-running-in-background thing? That's my last question :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Entirely up to you, neither wl hurt in any ways. But if you are doing some cpu demanding work on the pc, having a game running in the background is only going to slow things down. High performance on a Ryzen will mean its not going to cycle down at idle. Neither is ideal, but a band-aid until a more permanent solution is bought.