Question Extremely weird issue with games installed on Program Files and AppData

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
So, long story short, I had been dealing with input lag and a really weird mouse(and drawing tablet) acceleration when playing games fullscreen, and really big loading times, even though I have a relatively new SSD. So yesterday, after months of fruitless troubleshooting, I decided to move those games from Program Files and AppData to... a desktop folder. And lo and behold, everything just works now, 0 input lag, no acceleration and the loading times are almost instant. And this isnt placebo, I timed the loading times from the same game (classic WoW) on both program files and desktop folder. I tried googling but didnt find anything. My question here is, what could be happening that makes my games lag soo much when they are installed on Program Files? Is there any box that I checked that is messing with that?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
BIOS: 0407 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8128MB RAM
Page File: 9903MB used, 5647MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unico

Every driver up to date, windows fully updated.

Last edited:

Mercron

Commendable
Jun 8, 2020
"I decided to move those games from Program Files and AppData to... a desktop folder. "

How did you 'move' this?
Details, please.

I installed a game called osu. It doesnt let you choose an installation path, it install automatically on AppData/local. So I just moved the folder from appdata to the desktop. For other games, I unistalled them and reinstalled on a desktop folder as you would normally.

USAFRet

Titan
I installed a game called osu. It doesnt let you choose an installation path, it install automatically on AppData/local. So I just moved the folder from appdata to the desktop. For other games, I unistalled them and reinstalled on a desktop folder as you would normally.
AppData, Program Files, and the Desktop are literally on the same physical storage device.