[SOLVED] Extremely worried about the Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING MB

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
I've researched and researched and researched some more. I just can't seem to resolve my concerns. As many of you surely know, this board has been reported as having lower than advertised VRM specs. But for the life of me I don't know how it will affect me if at all. Please can u wonderful people assist.
My intentions and usage for this system will be Music production normal day to day browsing and some gaming. I won't be trying to push overclocking beyond getting the RAM to work at 3200MHz and maybe light CPU OC to get to 4 / 4.1GHz. This isn't completely necessary though

Here's my build list:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3knkQZ

Let me know if you spot any issues with this setup too.

Thanks guys.

Solution
Don't think you have to worry about the vrm. Was the Gigabyte B450 series that seemed they could run hot under load,but this one seems to have a well ventilated coling on the vrm. With the stock "top down" cooler should you be fine and just use a nicely well ventilated case.

I know the Xilence Performance X is made on the same platform as the older G series from Seasonic,but older it is. I would rather iuse one of these,
Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think you have to worry about the vrm. Was the Gigabyte B450 series that seemed they could run hot under load,but this one seems to have a well ventilated coling on the vrm. With the stock "top down" cooler should you be fine and just use a nicely well ventilated case.

I know the Xilence Performance X is made on the same platform as the older G series from Seasonic,but older it is. I would rather iuse one of these,
Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
The Focus or RMx being the best options,but run a 750watt TXM myself and it is very silent and as solid as it can be.

Reactions: Ori0n
Solution

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019

Corsair - TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply vs. Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
The Focus or RMx being the best options,but run a 750watt TXM myself and it is very silent and as solid as it can be.
Thank you for your reply. I think I'm gonna go for that board. As for the case... Do you think the Project 7 P7-C1 is ventilated enough?
Any particular reason you recommend those 2 PSU's specifically over mine other than they're newer?

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Just run the CPU with XFR enabled as that is better than a 4.1ghz OC and turn on XMP/D.O.C.P for the RAM. That's all you need to do. Unless you are chasing numbers in a benchmark you won't notice a difference.
Cheers for that buddy. As I am mostly a complete noob when it comes to new HW and BIOS setup I would very much appreciate any additional advice on what to turn on, off or leave on auto and specific numbers that need selecting. Big ask I know but it would really help.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
As for the case... Do you think the Project 7 P7-C1 is ventilated enough?
If you add a few fans sure,one at the front and one at the top would be already nice. It just comes with one rear fan which is imo not enough,but the case has alot of mesh so air can pass through nicely.

Any particular reason you recommend those 2 PSU's specifically over mine other than they're newer?
For a few pounds more are they well worth it for their better quality. Best is to read some reviews which can say more than i could,but has to do with excellent ripple suppression and voltage stability etc.

Reactions: Ori0n

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
If you add a few fans sure,one at the front and one at the top would be already nice. It just comes with one rear fan which is imo not enough,but the case has alot of mesh so air can pass through nicely.

For a few pounds more are they well worth it for their better quality. Best is to read some reviews which can say more than i could,but has to do with excellent ripple suppression and voltage stability etc.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. It's been a very long time since I built a new PC, and will probably be a long time before I do again.

For your entertainment. My current POS.

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 61 °C
Agena 65nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 199MHz (5-3-3-9)
Motherboard
ASRock K10N78 (CPUSocket) 35 °C
Graphics
PHILIPS FTV (1920x1080@60Hz)
TS702 (1280x1024@75Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Gigabyte) 42 °C
Storage
149GB MAXTOR STM3160215A ATA Device (ATA) 38 °C
74GB Seagate ST380815 AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 38 °C
465GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 36 °C
698GB SAMSUNG HD753LJ SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 28 °C
698GB SAMSUNG HD753LJ SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 29 °C
3GB Disk drive (USB)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653B SCSI CdRom Device

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
For pretty old games and internet still fast enough.;)

Yes the 750watt Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is a very good psu too. (response to pm)
Sorry for the PM. I wouldn't have if i thought it was thread specific.
Anyway thanx for the reply. I'm ordering it all today. yaay.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry for the PM. I wouldn't have if i thought it was thread specific.
That's alright,but i will rspond in the tread if i stil can remember which one.

Anyway thanx for the reply. I'm ordering it all today. yaay.
You're welcome. 😊

And don't forget to add some fans to the case if you have that budget,better get the 650wat Focus and get an extra fan then just get the 750watt which you only would need for dual gpu systems,although lower power draw won't hurt the performance/efficiency of this psu. Looks like a very nice system.:benetton:

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
That's alright,but i will rspond in the tread if i stil can remember which one.

You're welcome. 😊

And don't forget to add some fans to the case if you have that budget,better get the 650wat Focus and get an extra fan then just get the 750watt which you only would need for dual gpu systems,although lower power draw won't hurt the performance/efficiency of this psu. Looks like a very nice system.:benetton:
Thanx again. Can u miss match gfx at all? like a 980 plus, in the future a 1080ti? if not is it worth the extra effeicency of a 750w for £5 more?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
No,you canot mix gpu's. Maybe for a working machine,but not for gaming,for that do the chipsets need to be the same. So a gtx 980 matches only a gtx 980 and so on,would even try to keep the Vram size the same,just to be sure. The gpu's from AMD we're abit more lenient that the same series could work or an older version of a chipset with a newer one. Like HD 7970+R9 280 from what i recall.

For your system is a 650watt more than enough,even when adding a gtx 1080 ti for instance,although with that kind of gpu wouldn't it hurt to have a 750watt psu. With the psu needing to supply less power could it well mean that it's more silent as well. Is up to you if you want to spend the extra cash.

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
No,you canot mix gpu's. Maybe for a working machine,but not for gaming,for that do the chipsets need to be the same. So a gtx 980 matches only a gtx 980 and so on,would even try to keep the Vram size the same,just to be sure. The gpu's from AMD we're abit more lenient that the same series could work or an older version of a chipset with a newer one. Like HD 7970+R9 280 from what i recall.

For your system is a 650watt more than enough,even when adding a gtx 1080 ti for instance,although with that kind of gpu wouldn't it hurt to have a 750watt psu. With the psu needing to supply less power could it well mean that it's more silent as well. Is up to you if you want to spend the extra cash.
Well i knew it was a long shot for mixing gpu's. as for the psu gonna spend the extra 5 for the extra overhead. now just a waiting game.
Thank you so much buddy. Next time u hear from me might be to ask for ur help setting up the bios. :)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you so much buddy. Next time u hear from me might be to ask for ur help setting up the bios. :)
Again,you're welcome.;)

Might be wise to just make a new thread for the bios so more can give their input. Sometimes i might just do a week nothing here. Most important is making sure you have the latest and enabling XMP/DOHC (latest for AMD) at first to make ram run at rated specs,also setting the bootdrive as nr1 (and maybe rearranging other options for it),but after installing windows. Not vey hard to do.

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Again,you're welcome.;)

Might be wise to just make a new thread for the bios so more can give their input. Sometimes i might just do a week nothing here. Most important is making sure you have the latest and enabling XMP/DOHC (latest for AMD) at first to make ram run at rated specs,also setting the bootdrive as nr1 (and maybe rearranging other options for it),but after installing windows. Not vey hard to do.
Will do. struggling to find find the height of the 2700x with wraith prism cooler. been to amd site a no mention of the height in the specs. any idea? havent searched here directly yet.