Question Eye-saving displays? Help me choose a display for my build!

Jussinen

Prominent
Nov 14, 2021
Hi

I've decided to buy myself a new PC with 7600X CPU and 6800XT GPU and only need a display now.

I'm buying from Finland and Jimm.fi is the shop of preferance. 250-350 € budget, and obviously cheaper is more preferable here.

I know that "eye-saving" is a bit tricky thing to ask for, because eyes are all individual, but I trust that you people know displays better than I do so maybe you know something about this topic that I don't.

I'd prefer a rather neutral looking display (displays often look like they're made to appeal to gamers) and probably 27" 1440p with freesync support. Or do you guys think that something like 25" and 1080p is better? It could be. I've never had a display bigger than 23" I believe. But I'm not planning to start playing in 4k resolution so that's probably out of the question.

Thanks already for your help!

If by "eye saving" you mean a display that won't give you eye strain, there's no single monitor that prevents any level of eye strain. At best, there are general guidelines that can help, but there are some that are outside of the monitor's control
  • Set an appropriate brightness for the environment you're in. Don't make the display too bright or too dark. What that means however is solely up to your preference.
  • Make sure, if you're using Windows, that you've ran the ClearType tuner so text clarity is tuned for the display
  • If you're worried about blue light issues, you can either adjust the color on the monitor itself, or have the OS set a permanent "night mode"
  • Remember to look away from the monitor regularly at something preferably further away from you than you are from the monitor

Jussinen

Prominent
Nov 14, 2021
Okay, thanks guys. It could be just in my eyes that my current monitor strains them. Mobile phone sort of does the same. But not TV. Does Hz level or refresh rate or something like that have anything to do with how much monitor might strain one's eyes? I just want to make sure.

Okay, thanks guys. It could be just in my eyes that my current monitor strains them. Mobile phone sort of does the same. But not TV. Does Hz level or refresh rate or something like that have anything to do with how much monitor might strain one's eyes? I just want to make sure.
It can sort of, but it depends on if your monitor uses PWM to control the brightness and if the lights you use are either fluorescent of some sort or older LED lights that use PWM. If the PWM frequencies line up in a specific way, it can create a perception of subtle flickering.