Eye Tracking Is Coming To Qualcomm’s Snapdragon VR820 Platform Via SMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
>Qualcomm’s goal with the VR820 is to free us from smartphone-based (a cynic might say “smartphone-bound”) experiences such as Gear VR and Google’s Daydream.

Is freeing us from being able to use our existing hardware so we need a separate dedicated mobile VR device really desirable? The main advantage of mobile VR is that it just requires an inexpensive headset that uses hardware that you already own.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
A purpose-built all-in-one can run hotter, longer. It can have bigger batteries, it can have better weight distribution, and it could conceivably be cheaper than a Daydream-class smartphone.

And, with the addition of foveated rendering, it can offer even better performance than phone-based HMDs.

Even with all that, it will still be no match for a PC-based HMD. So, your point stands. I think all-in-one HMDs will be attractive for location-based entertainment and certain professional applications, but I don't expect them to displace either cheap, phone-based visors or high-end PC-based units.

In 2017, I think we might see Oculus introduce an all-in-one. They've already demo'd a prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.