eyefinity / crossfire 3D capable?

RevanVulkar

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Hey guys i want to buy 3 46 - 50 inch full HD LED 3D tv's and youse them for eyefinity and possibly crossfire my Graphics card. My question is can i also use 3D with eyefinity, or even possibly eyefinity & crossfire

Technically everything you suggest there is possible. A few issues or things to consider:
- unless you're happy with low settings, you will need to crossfire. I run eyefinity off a single 7950, it's with some games but needs lower settings often. For 3d you want double the frame rate (assuming active 3d glasses), so even crossfired, OC'd 7970 won't be able to run the most demanding games at ultra or even very high.
- not all games scale well with crossfire, not all games support eyefinity and not all games support 3d. I suspect the number of games where you'll actually be getting the most of your technology will be quite limited!
- are you sure you want to go TVs over monitors? Usually TVs are preferable when you're sitting a good distance away. I'm not sure that eyefinity would be a plus with that setup (I'd be interested to hear from someone if they disagree though). In my experience, eyefinity is good for filling your peripheral vision, it makes games more immersive. In 1st or 3rd person views though, the side monitors are actually stretched, the scaling isn't quite right. It doesn't matter when it's just your periphery, but I think with 3 TVs, when sat well back, the distorted field of view on the side screens would be more obvious and obtrusive. I'd be interested if anyone has experience with this?

I'm not saying it won't work, just throwing a few things in to consider before you shell out a big lump of cash!

RevanVulkar

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Thanks Rhysiam,
well I know its all a mix and match try to get this my starting point (and it is a definite) is getting 2 X saphire HD 7970 3GB, with a system RAM update. I wont be sitting to far back maybe 3M or less and 50 inch LED 3D TV's are cheaper than 46 inch (assuming they are the same HZ and motion rate) Ive been scouring AMD's eyefinity site for weeks checking compatible games and trying to find any info on TV's (plenty on monitors) as well as numerous posts on this site and others but most where written 2 years ago.

I've gotten to the point where I might just contact or go to AMD direct and confront them face to face on this matter depending on who writes back to me here.

RevanVulkar

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

This is what I was afraid of, if I have to go the largest "monitor" to get what im chasing then maybe the largest I can get is 30"

I believe the largest 3D monitors are 27", but in Surround, that isn't so bad.

RevanVulkar

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
Ok ladies and gentlemen I spent an hour or so talking to an awesome technician by the name of "Gareth" at AMD North Ryde Sydney. He has informed me that yes it is 100% possible to run EYEFINITY with 3D application providing that you are using the right graphics cards as it draws allot of GPU load.
When I build the finished product I'll stick a video / link of it on youtube and Tom's Hardware for all to see, and I won't be using TV's any more I'll be using 30"inch monitors instead for better performance.

Thank you for all the answers guys