Eyefinity Setup 3rd Active Adapter Monitor

DriveJunky_95

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hey all, my question is this - I've got 3 monitors and the R9 280x with the following connectors:

DVI x2
Mini HDMI x1
Mini DP x2

Right now I've got two legacy connections plugged into the GPU (straight DVI to DVI)

My last connection is a DVI with an active HDMI adapter from my last setup. If I buy a passive HDMI to mini HDMI adapter will the 'activeness' from the DVI to HDMI pass through to the 3rd display?

In other words, do I need yet another active adapter (an HDMI to mini HDMI) for the 3rd connection if I chose to use HDMI for my third monitor?

Thanks!

Solution
Stop what you are doing immediately. I forbid you to continue.

1: From the GPU you can only use 2 connections from any of the following outputs: DVI, HDMI, VGA. There are only 2 clocks provided for those connections and using an active HDMI adapter will not fix anything.

2: If you want a third monitor, you need to use AT LEAST 1 display port (or mini). What you can do is get an ACTIVE mini display port adapter to DVI connector. I got one from china in about two weeks for a few $.

To answer your question: No it will not remove the passiveness. It just will not work for triple monitor setup.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Stop what you are doing immediately. I forbid you to continue.

1: From the GPU you can only use 2 connections from any of the following outputs: DVI, HDMI, VGA. There are only 2 clocks provided for those connections and using an active HDMI adapter will not fix anything.

2: If you want a third monitor, you need to use AT LEAST 1 display port (or mini). What you can do is get an ACTIVE mini display port adapter to DVI connector. I got one from china in about two weeks for a few $.

To answer your question: No it will not remove the passiveness. It just will not work for triple monitor setup.

Solution

DriveJunky_95

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I mean, I've read that after 2 legacy connections the third and above must always be DP. What is strange though is that my last setup [Radeon HD 6870] was able to use eyefinity with a DVI/DVI/active DVI to HDMI adapter setup. What gives?

Maybe it's all a marketing gimmick between GPU distributors and DP manufacturers xD

gilbadon

Distinguished
Huh, maybe it was able to use a clock within the active adapter. That is odd. It is not a gimmick for the manufacturers of DP though. DP is open source and much cheaper than HDMI. It is a gimmick for the graphics cards manufacturers because HDMI costs them money.

DriveJunky_95

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Oh man, I made a mistake >_<

Taking a second look at my active adapter it's a DVI to DP LOL.....

HDMI looks so similar; I should have spent a second more looking at the end. You are correct - the clock wouldn't have been shared - active or not.

As a side note, with a little reading about the R9 series the cards can support 3 legacy connections thanks to a shared timing generator. Woohoo!

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-R9-280X-R9-270X-and-R7-260X-Review/New-Display-Output-Configuratio

TRENDING THREADS