Question EZ Debug CPU or DRAM LED solid white

Feb 14, 2021
I built a new PC recently with the following parts:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
  • MOBO: MSI X570 TOMAHAWK
  • RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 16GB x 2 3000MHZ CL15
  • SSD: Crucial P5 1TB NVMe SSD
  • GPU: MSI GT 710 1GD3H LP (I don't play games at all)
  • PSU: 650W Gold
The PC doesn't POST. Either CPU or DRAM LED is on depending on the RAM I put. I probably have burned something but I don't know which one(s). Could someone help identify what went wrong. I am very new to PC building. Here is what happened in details:

When I powered it on for the first time just to see if everything connected properly, I remember seeing both RAM RGB working. I then tried to power it off by holding the power button, it didn't work, however both RAM RGB stopped flashing while I held the button. I was surprised why the power button only shut down the RAM RGB but not the system. I then shut it down from PSU power switch.

Powered it on again, no RAM RGB from either stick anymore, couldn't power it off using power button. After a while, I found a thing called EZ Debug LED and noticed the CPU LED is solid white.

I then checked the stock CPU cooler and noticed one of the screw didn't go into the MOBO. I then reinstalled the cooler. Still same symptom afterwards - white CPU LED + unable to power off holding the power button. Took out the cooler and CPU, checked the CPU pin and socket, no sign of bend or missing pin. Reinstalled CPU and cooler a few times, same symptom. I then updated the BIOS using Flash BIOS Button, I then tried the following combinations:
  • No CPU No RAM: CPU LED on
  • CPU with NO RAM: DRAM LED on
  • CPU with RAM 1: DRAM LED on even though RAM RGB works, power off using power button works
  • CPU with RAM 2: CPU LED on even though RAM RGB doesn't work, power off using power button doesn't work
  • CPU with both RAM: CPU LED on, no RAM RGB work, power off using power button doesn't work
Note I tried put RAM on different slots with the same results. Case fans are MOBO fan and RGB always work as soon as I power it on.
So far my conclusion is I burned the CPU and/or RAM 2 when the cooler wasn't install properly initially. I thought RAM 2 is dead because the RGB stopped working. However I didn't see DRAM LED with RAM 2 when inserted, and I saw DRAM LED with RAM 1 instead whose RGB works though, which doesn't make sense to me.

I'd appreciate if someone have any suggestion on what to do next?

I currently don't have a working PC for me to test if the CPU or RAM work individually.

ASK THE COMMUNITY