Question EZ Debug LED color consensus?

Jun 14, 2023
After recent mishaps with my build, I've spent much time researching the utility of the EZ Debug LEDs, while I understand that any light that isn't green is likely a bad omen, I've failed to find even a single source that explains the specific meaning of the colors, either from guides or articles or even manuals, they only ever state that a lit LED signifies an issue, but clearly red must mean a different issue from white and so forth. Is there any actual consensus on this or am I simply going insane trying to understand this?

... I've failed to find even a single source that explains the specific meaning of the colors, either from guides or articles or even manuals, they only ever state that a lit LED signifies an issue, ...
Knowing motherboard at least would help....

But something to look for: if it's multiple LED's, each with it's own color then look real closely for a legend silk-screened on the motherboard near the LED's. It's going to be pretty small but it might say something like "CPU, RAM, VGA and BOOT" if 4 separate LED's, for instance. That's your clue to which each mean.

And if one is lit it doesn't mean that part is faulty, it just means it was in that portion of POST when it detected an error and couldn't proceed. It's just a clue to a problem which could be elsewhere.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2023
Knowing motherboard at least would help....

But something to look for: if it's multiple LED's, each with it's own color then look real closely for a legend silk-screened on the motherboard near the LED's. It's going to be pretty small but it might say something like "CPU, RAM, VGA and BOOT" if 4 separate LED's, for instance. That's your clue to which each mean.

And if one is lit it doesn't mean that part is faulty, it just means it was in that portion of POST when it detected an error and couldn't proceed. It's just a clue to a problem which could be elsewhere.
It's a msi MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
though now I'm starting to think I may have misunderstood the way the LEDs are supposed to be used, I assumed that each LED could have different colors corresponding to it's respective part's status. Am I wrong?
I made this assumption since I have seen red, white and green LEDs and so, possibly wrongly, assumed the colors were not specific to the part but to the status

It's a msi MAG X570S TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
though now I'm starting to think I may have misunderstood the way the LEDs are supposed to be used, I assumed that each LED could have different colors corresponding to it's respective part's status. Am I wrong?
I made this assumption since I have seen red, white and green LEDs and so, possibly wrongly, assumed the colors were not specific to the part but to the status
Every EzDebug LED trouble light setup I've seen has four lights. The lights might all be one color or each it's own color. That doesn't mean it has to be that way for every other board made, but in this case it does.

Look on page 31 of the manual. It explains the EZDebug lamps.