Question EZ Debug led troubleshoot for B450 Tomahawk max

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledge97

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Hi, a few days ago I built my first gaming PC and have ran into a problem. My PC has been working fine (as far as I'm aware) up until today. I was watching a video on YouTube, and all of a sudden my PC had crashed and completely frozen for a few seconds, I had my headphones plugged in an all I could hear was a load of buzzing going on whilst this was happening. So I then checked my motherboard, the computers still seemed as if it was on, CPU fan was spinning etc, and the debug led was lit up red, but no display. After referring to the manual the led was suggesting that the CPU wasn't detected or failed.

So as there was no display I held in the power button to completely shut it down, and turned it back on. Upon restart the third debug led from the bottom flickered, then the 4th flickered, and turned back on as if nothing happened. So I'm currently sat here scratching my head wondering whats happened as theirs no debug led's on, and the computer seems to be working as normal. Thinking back to the build one mistake I made out of laziness was that I didn't screw in one of the screws in to the motherboard stand off. The reason for this was because, the case came with pre-fitted stand off's, and when I was about to screw in the middle screw I realized it didn't have a thread and continued to screw in the rest. So Im not sure if this maybe caused a short. Anyway any help or advice appreciated.

ledge97

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 af
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk max
RAM: 8gb x2 G-skill ripjaws 3200
Storage: samsung 860 evo m.2 sata ssd (boot drive) 2tb seagate green hardrive (Games)
GPU: Gigabyte RX 570 4G MINING OEM
PSU: Corsair CX550 80+bronze
Case: NZXT H510

I look at device management for display adapters out of curiosity, and it logged an error a couple of days ago basically saying that It had a problem starting. I did remember a time where it restarted itself, but I wasn't sure weather this was related to a windows update as my computer went it repair mode after an update.

ledge97

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
UPDATE: Turned my computer on today, seem to have posted, but no display and CPU debug led stuck on. After manual restart seems to start up fine with no problem. Dont really know why this is happening.

Looking back at the build I remember installing the CPU heat sink fan and the screws not biting, so I carefully lifted it off the CPU and re-installed it. This is the only thing I could think that could be causing a problem, as I've seen alot people talk about making sure there's no fingerprints etc on the CPU to allow for good heat transfer. On the system setup, I updated the bios to the most recent version, changed the memory settings to xmp profile 2 (faster speed), installed windows, done all the windows updates and installed a few programs including steam, cpuz, amd radeon software (graphics driver) etc. So still baffled as to why this is happening. After a manual restart, I looked at the event log and there was several 'critical errors' on different occasions. This was event ID 41 but no bug check codes and time stamps were zero. The error code suggests power interruption, but its confusing as this could just be where I've manually shut it down, also all the components are brand new (including the psu).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.