[SOLVED] EZ Debug Light on two differente CPUs and Motherboards

May 10, 2022
Hello!

When I first powered my initial build (specs below), the system kept turning on and off every 3-10 seconds or so. During this period the debug codes kept jumping around and the RAM Debug light was yellow. After restarting the system however, the CPU debug light immediately turns on, and nothing else happens. CPU fans work, but there was no longer output to the monitor.

CPU: i7 12700K
CPU COOLER: NH-D15
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z690 Carbon Wifi DDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 5200 (PC5 41600)
PSU: Corsair RM850

Thinking that it was a cpu/motherboard/RAM issue, I grabbed an i5 12600k, MSI Z690-A and a Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5 4800.
I tired the i5 and the new RAM on the old motherboard and just as before, it kept turning on and off while trying to load the BIOS, when I initially powered the system. But after I restarted the system it's just the CPU debug light that's on.

I tried the i5 on the new motherboard and it immediately displays the CPU debug light.
I've tried changing the RAM sticks around, 1 slot, 2 slot, even zero slots ... makes no difference.

I've been trying to solve this issue for a week now, but I've exhausted all options and I need your help.

Thanks!

Solution
It is most unusual for an intel cpu to be defective.
Two bad ones are very remote possibilities.

Possibly the MPG Z690 motherboard socket has a bent pin that is shorting out the processor and damaging it.
Why this happened, after initially running OK, I don't know.
Your cooler is excellent and a small drop of paste is my preferred method of application.
It is hard to use too little.
Regardless,
Do not worry too much about temperatures.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 100c.
If your cpu cooler is running about 10-15c. over ambient at idle, your cooler is functioning and mounted well.
May 10, 2022
Modular PSU - correct?

Did you use any other power cables that came from another PSU of any brand and model?

= = = =

CPU: What thermal paste was used and how was the pasted applied?

correct it's a fully modular PSU, and I've only used the cables that came with it.
I used the thermal paste that came with the noctua cooler and applied pea size. although I'm starting to wonder if I put a small amount than the ideal since I can see the writings on the top of the cpu.

Ralston18

Titan
This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MPGZ690CARBONWIFI_FORCEWIFI.pdf

Double check that the motherboard does indeed support the CPU(s) per the specs presented on physically numbered Page 5.

Do visit MSI's website to check for changes and updates.

Also note the requirement that the first physically installed RAM module should be installed in DIMMA2 per Page 19.

Review the User manual page by page to ensure that all connections and configurations are correct for your build. Very easy to sometimes mix up connectors.

Pay close attention to all fine print, warnings, and so forth.

Ensure that all connectors, RAM, jumpers etc. are fully and firmly in place. No one wants to force a connection so what feels connected may not really be fully connected.

Hopefully the problem(s) are just some error of omission or commission.

Take your time, read carefully, and stop is something is not as it should be.

May 10, 2022
UPDATE: Turns out the i5 12600k and the i7 12700k that I had received were both defective. Was able to confirm this when I received another i7 12700k that's now working on both motherboards.

UPDATE to UPDATE: i7 12700k has flamed out after attaching it to the MPG Z690 ... seems like this motherboard is killing all the CPUs ... no idea how

Last edited:
It is most unusual for an intel cpu to be defective.
Two bad ones are very remote possibilities.

Possibly the MPG Z690 motherboard socket has a bent pin that is shorting out the processor and damaging it.
Why this happened, after initially running OK, I don't know.
Your cooler is excellent and a small drop of paste is my preferred method of application.
It is hard to use too little.
Regardless,
Do not worry too much about temperatures.
Modern processors monitor their temperatures and will throttle or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is about 100c.
If your cpu cooler is running about 10-15c. over ambient at idle, your cooler is functioning and mounted well.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX
Solution