[SOLVED] F.lux Turned My Blues Purple

Dec 3, 2020
Hi folks, so I allowed an enhancement update of some sort to run and F.lux has drastically changed my display. I've done a clean install of the gpu drivers and uninstalled f.lux which momentarily got my colors to default, but I looked up and it was back to purple rain. Does anyone have an idea where I should be digging to revert and *permanently delete this app and its damaging effects? Thanks very much in advance for any help as it's really diminishing my user experience.

Edit: for those that don't know what f.lux is, it's a free app that controls color temperatures throughout the day to align with waking/sleep schedule. Night shift.

Ryzen 5 2600
Radeon RX 580
ASRock B450M Pro4
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
D
Do a system restore to a point before installing that rotten software. Or clean install windows and don’t ever install that software again

Ralston18

Titan
How did you originally uninstall f.lux? Just a deletion of the .exe or some uninstaller?

Very likely that that enhancement update slipped something else in. Run your AV and anti-malware software.

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor for some other unidentified app, service, or process that is running.

No need to immediately delete - just google and research accordingly.

Process Explorer (free via Microsoft's website) may also help identify the culprit.

Another place to look is in Task Scheduler. Depending on when the"purple rain" kicks in you may be able to associate the event with something in Task Scheduler.

Reactions: skylitedatum
Dec 3, 2020
Thanks for your response, Ralston. I uninstalled through the windows uninstall feature in settings as per advice on their forum. I deleted all associated files and it's nowhere to be seen on my machine (not seeing anything unusual in task manager either) but yes something definitely slipped through. Going to give your other tips a go. Much appreciated.

Edit: How might I identify a "culprit?" I've gone to resource monitor and process explorer but there's too much info displayed and flux is not turning up in any search. Seems like a haystack from here..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Do a system restore to a point before installing that rotten software. Or clean install windows and don’t ever install that software again

Reactions: skylitedatum
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"How might I identify a "culprit?" I've gone to resource monitor and process explorer but there's too much info displayed and flux is not turning up in any search. Seems like a haystack from here..

Fair question and the needle in a haystack is quite appropriate.

The way I would go about it is to observe what time(s) the color/ color temperature (purple rain) changes are made. Then I would look in Reliability History (timeline format) to look for anything that might have been recorded when the coloring was changed,l Event Viewer can be used in much the same manner but it is much less user friendly.

If the changes are clock based (waking/sleep schedule) the I would be looking for some process or service that uses the clock.

Task Scheduler might reveal the culprit. Some clock/time based trigger.

I am also wondering if whatever is still making the color changes (to purple) might be going out to the internet or even the network in some manner to get the time(s) to implement the change. That could easily be tested by taking the computer first off of the internet when color change is expected and then off of the network.

Actually, for myself only, I would probably alter my system clock, and see if I can gain "control" of when the purple rain sets in. Knowing that I could be taking a risk and make matters worse.... Not recommended. Best to just investigate without changing anything.

Very much overall depends on just how much time and effort you wish to make in order to identify the source of the continuing color changes.

Unless the color change effects are completely disruptive, I would investigate a bit more to see if anything else can be discovered.

Otherwise, per @Mandark, you will need to do a restore.

Dec 3, 2020

Can bet your bippy I won't
Regarding:

"How might I identify a "culprit?........

Otherwise, per @Mandark, you will need to do a restore.

Thanks again Ralston. The changes are permanent and static. It's always purple with no night shift at all. I deleted the app so it's just what's left on my machine with no integration into my clock. I actually just got a response from f.lux asking for my driver properties and they said Radeon drivers had been causing them problems. And yes I'm still googling etc but the info is beyond limited. If this persists I will have to restore. Trying not to whine too much but I am furious. This has been an incredible waste of my time.