F:\ not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.

Abhishek_49

Commendable
Jul 13, 2016
Hello!
I have recently found my 2 year old Seagate FreeAgent Go external hard drive (1TB). When I plugged it in and tried to open it File Explorer kept crashing. Eventually it went through up to a stage where it gave that message: "F:\ not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." What should I do? I don't know how long it has been like this, the last time I used it was probably about a year ago.
Also could you please explain things quite simply, I'm not amazing with computer jargon. Thanks guys :)

Solution
Hi there Abhishek_49,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Do you have important data stored on the drive?

My suggestion would be to start with something simple as just attaching the drive with a different USB cable to another USB port. In case the issue persists, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool. There are many threads on data recovery in the community. Also, you can check the Ubuntu Live CD approach out. Just boot up from a flash drive or a CD with Ubuntu and try to access the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

If you can't access the drive with software tools, then I believe that there is something wrong with the enclosure or the HDD itself. In that case, you can:
- Contact a...
Hi there Abhishek_49,

That is really unpleasant. :(

Do you have important data stored on the drive?

My suggestion would be to start with something simple as just attaching the drive with a different USB cable to another USB port. In case the issue persists, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool. There are many threads on data recovery in the community. Also, you can check the Ubuntu Live CD approach out. Just boot up from a flash drive or a CD with Ubuntu and try to access the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/267999-32-recover-data-mode

If you can't access the drive with software tools, then I believe that there is something wrong with the enclosure or the HDD itself. In that case, you can:
- Contact a data recovery company, if the data stored on the drive is really important.
- See if it the device is under warranty. In case it is, you can just RMA it.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution