[SOLVED] F4-3000C16D-16GISB Random restart

Mar 6, 2021
So Ive been running 16gb for the longest time at 3000mhz with XMP just fine. I then decided to add another 16gb of the exact brand and model ram and now it just randomly restarts after a while. When XMP is off and the memory runs at the failsafe of 2133mhz everything runs fine. CPU-Z reports ram is running at dual channel/1069 frequency(2133mhz). Any thoughts?

Intel Core i9-9900k
Asus Prime Z390-P
32gb G.Skill F4-3000C16D-16GISB
Powercooler Radeon RX 5700 XT
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m2

Solution
Hi Treonn.

Here is what can happen when you mix RAM. Even RAM from the same brand and model.
  • It can work and XMP will run just fine. No issues.
  • XMP will not work.
  • It works but you have instabilities.
Not only that mixing RAM might work or not work you're using 4 sticks of RAM putting more stress on the memory controller. Most people cannot even run XMP with a 4 sticks RAM Kit at advertised speed. They have to reduce the frequency a bit.

You can test. Put your RAM at 2933MHz first then try 2666MHz.
Hi Treonn.

Here is what can happen when you mix RAM. Even RAM from the same brand and model.
  • It can work and XMP will run just fine. No issues.
  • XMP will not work.
  • It works but you have instabilities.
Not only that mixing RAM might work or not work you're using 4 sticks of RAM putting more stress on the memory controller. Most people cannot even run XMP with a 4 sticks RAM Kit at advertised speed. They have to reduce the frequency a bit.

You can test. Put your RAM at 2933MHz first then try 2666MHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: treonn
Solution
Mar 6, 2021
I appreciate your answer, its sad I have to run these 3000mhz sticks at 2666mhz but its better than nothing, more working ram is better than fast dead ram lol.

TRENDING THREADS