[SOLVED] F4-3200C16D-16GVKB 4 x 8gb ryzen 5 3600

Apr 29, 2020
I have 2 dimms of 2x8gb ram of F4-3200C16D-16GVKB with a ryzen 5 3600 and b450 tom max mobo, can i go to a total of 4 dimms (4x8gb ram) 32gb total AND running all 4 dimms at 3200mhz with the configuration i mentioned?

Solution
well when i first put ram in bios showed it was running at 2133mhz, i would revert current dimms to that, then OC the 4 dimms to the 3200mhz that im at now, at least i would think it would be that easy.
Mixing up RAM from different kits, even with the same model, can never be guaranteed to work. You can take your chances, it might work, but it might not. Sometimes RAM from two different kits won't even let you POST, sometimes they work at a slower speed together than individually, and sometimes they run perfectly fine together. This is because even RAM of the same model number can have different internal parts, that is, the die and IC can be different. Still, you can try, and return the new ones if they don't work properly.
Apr 29, 2020
well when i first put ram in bios showed it was running at 2133mhz, i would revert current dimms to that, then OC the 4 dimms to the 3200mhz that im at now, at least i would think it would be that easy.

Mixing up RAM from different kits, even with the same model, can never be guaranteed to work. You can take your chances, it might work, but it might not. Sometimes RAM from two different kits won't even let you POST, sometimes they work at a slower speed together than individually, and sometimes they run perfectly fine together. This is because even RAM of the same model number can have different internal parts, that is, the die and IC can be different. Still, you can try, and return the new ones if they don't work properly.

Reactions: mts007
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a reason why it's recommended that you stick with one kit, the size and speed you want.

Picture a dude on an assembly line, he sticks 4 sticks in the mobo. Doesn't work. He grabs another stick from the giant pile of ram and starts swapping sticks until he gets 4 that work. He might go through a hundred sticks before that happens.

You buy the kit, 4 sticks, bam, factory certified. Works like a champ.

Same dude at home orders a second 2stick kit from Amazon. Doesn't work, rma, wait 2 weeks for replacement. 11 months later he's still plugging away, Amazon is delaying shipments and rma because they are rightly upset, dude still doesn't have 2x compatible kits.

Buying a full kit, you pay for dude to do all the work matching and certifying the kit to guarantee it works. Mixing and matching, you are the dude at home still waiting and plugging away, never having gotten 2x compatible kits.

It's a Ryzen 3000 series. Sweet spot is 3600MHz. Ryzen also do not like 4 ram sticks and will fight compatability every which way it can. I'd strongly suggest yo purchase a 2x16Gb kit, and sell the 2x8Gb 3200MHz. The cost difference will be negligible compared to the subsequent argument that 4x sticks from 2 different kits could possibly entail.