F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - low latency, but can it hit 3200?

Starkman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Hey all,

So I'm buying parts for a new system (Ryzen 5 2600 and an MSI B450 Tomahawk).

I found this ram F4-3200C16D-16GVKB at Newegg for $139 (sale ends in two days).

Latency is low (16-18-18-38), but I'm wondering if using XMP or manually overclocking it (which I've never done before) will get it up to at least 3000 (3200 would be great!) on the B450 Tomahawk. And if I overclock the memory, should I have an extra fan or two? I only have one or two fans (as I said, I have never overclocked).

My chief concern is that the memory is not on the QVL for MSI, but with the 2nd gen CPU and the B450, I'm wondering if I can pull this off.

Would appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Solution
I see no link on the ram.
Go to the ram vendor web site and access their ram selection app.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported ram kits.
Do not buy if you do not find support on either the QVL list or on the motherboard site.
Not all DDR4 ram will be supported.

Starkman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Thanks for the input.

No, the ram is not in the QVL, but the question really is, if I use it, will the Ryzen 5 2600 and B450 Tomahawk give the ram a good shot at working close to or at 3000? It's the combination of the CPU and motherboard that I'm wondering; if the 2nd Gen would help the ram hit faster frequencies.

Solution
pic_disp.php

well he doesnt know that ram max speed, he stated what amd officialy supports

mine ram on ryzen 1 is dual chanel dual ranked and works great at 3333mhz (manual timings + extra soc voltage)
so if kit is not on qvl u can get 3 results:
1) pc will not POST
2) pc will POST, but with XMP either no POST or stability issues
3) it will work really great (very low percentage here with you mobo/ram selection)

Starkman

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, it ain't looking good. I just don't want to drop $200 for ram, but I may have to.
Can I ask you, for a non-gamer like me, who just wants a nice, reasonably fast memory, what should I go with? I do some post-processing for photography, compose music (no heavy audio involved), and general stuff. Very few games.

well i had same issue when i was building my ryzen pc last year...i went through mobo qvl list,
sorted out fastest kits from that list with dual ranks, then searched online if those kits are available in my country and got only 1 overprized result :/
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WtjWGX/gskill-tridentz-rgb-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-32gtzr
still...they will hold for years until ddr5 (until then, pretty much other components will be different)
but i love those speeds
PWOZB0B.png

ryzen 2 has lower latencies, but not so much performance boost...ram support is more or less same (a maybe slightly better), ill just wait for ryzen 3xxx serie