[SOLVED] FA. (Flow Acceleration) with dd-wrt

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi, I have a Netgear nighthawk r7000p router I have heard that haveing this flow acceleration enabled can improve your bandwidth speeds. What is this exactly? and can it be enabled in the dd-wrt firmware using the netgear nighthawk r7000 p I know I have Shortcut Forwarding Engine enabled. But I don't see anything for flow acceleration is that just for Asus Routers running the merlin firmware? Is there anything else in the dd-wrt software that will boost My bandiwdth meanthe higher numbers that I would get if I run ookla speedtest.net. I connect all hard wired throught cat 8 ethernet. I have gigabyte speed I have a Motorola surf board sb8200 and a nighthawk r7000p router. I get Like 725 a little bit more for the download and 41 mbps for the up. But I would Like to get in the middle of 800 for the down. I have heard that the sb8200 docis 3.1 and the Negear nighthawk r7000p router do not play well together. Not sure if this is true or not. Just was wondering if you could tell me if there could be anything that I could turn off or disable in dd-wrt that would give me and extra boost for what I'm already paying for from Comcast/Xfinity.

Thanks so much.

Stay safe!

Solution
This is one of those hardware assisted NAT things I suspect. Not a lot of this is well documented since it is very unique to the chipsets. They maybe just calling it something different.

I would take the router out and plug directly into the modem to see what the maximum speed you can expect. it maybe your connection and not the router.

You might as well load the factory firmware back onto the router. If you are using any of the fast pathing features all the traffic is bypassing the CPU chip. Since the DD-WRT firmware....and even the factory firmware....will not be able to see the traffic. This means almost all the added features in dd-wrt can not be used. Any feature that needs to look at or modify the data packets...
Never heard of this at all. Sounds like a marketing gimmick.

I have 600/20 through xfinity and get all of it from my old netgear vpn router that's working fine with my sb6190. 700-something sounds low for gigabit speeds. I would test directly from your modem and see if you get higher. If you do, put your r7000p back to stock and test again. It will probably be higher.

This is one of those hardware assisted NAT things I suspect. Not a lot of this is well documented since it is very unique to the chipsets. They maybe just calling it something different.

I would take the router out and plug directly into the modem to see what the maximum speed you can expect. it maybe your connection and not the router.

You might as well load the factory firmware back onto the router. If you are using any of the fast pathing features all the traffic is bypassing the CPU chip. Since the DD-WRT firmware....and even the factory firmware....will not be able to see the traffic. This means almost all the added features in dd-wrt can not be used. Any feature that needs to look at or modify the data packets will force the traffic back through the CPU chip and your speed will drop drastically.

Most this stuff is precompiled stuff you link into the image. The chipset vendors do not provide much details. In some ways we are almost back to not being able to write custom router images because so much is not provided as source code.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

TRENDING THREADS