Face Tracking HP Webcams Can't Track Black Faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Good for HP. Blackface is derogatory and racist towards people of color. I am glad HP's engineer design a software that can distinguish blackface and face with darker complication.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
color/intensity contrast argument seems valid... who other than the programmers and those that know anything about this sort of software knows for sure?

G

OMG....

Chris Rock and other comedians would have a field day what with the title of this article! :O

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Wow. I am surprised that HP engineers did not know that Infrared spectrum should be used to track human face or any other warm blooded animal. That is the main reason all security detectors are using infrared systems.
Does anybody remember when Sony released video camera without IR filter and you can take 'naked' videos of women at the beach.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]Does anybody remember when Sony released video camera without IR filter and you can take 'naked' videos of women at the beach.[/citation]

Oh yeah I remember that, and now the mods that you can do to camera's to allow that on some models lol

On this topic its kinda funny, I am sure it was not done on purpose just kind of funny though. I do mean haha funny not like oh that smells kinda funny lol I also am 100% sure there will be some sort of software update to fix this :)

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Saw this over the weekend and it made my day. Its pretty funny truth be told. At least now we know most of HP's testers are white lol.

wickwick

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Of course you should use IR to track people's faces. Unfortunately, most webcams on laptops don't ship with IR cameras. They've got to work with crappy-quality images under variable lighting conditions.

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Camera's that don't track black people. Does anybody else see the problem with that?[/citation]

No problem. It perfect. So when we sneak up on your stupid @ss we can hit you with the stupid moron stick and the camera will miss us. You get the dumb @ss smackdown and the camera only sees you. I think it is a feature.

I wonder if I could smack Sarah Palin in front of one of these and get away with it.... She's a dumb @ss too.... hmmm.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
First the cabs, now the webcams ignore black people!

Jokes aside, this is obviously a flaw in development and not intentional. After all, there is a reason for the words "black" and "white". They didn't test it enough on black people, or not at all, so thy didn't took into account the different colors and contrast and blah blah blah necessary to make this work.

I'm pretty sure that an star wars geek disguised as a green or blue alien wouldn't be tracked either because of the different color of his silly painted face.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wickwick[/nom]Of course you should use IR to track people's faces. Unfortunately, most webcams on laptops don't ship with IR cameras.[/citation]
Well most of current webcam are based on small CCD sensor. By nature CCD sensor can see IR just fine. All web cams has IR filter. If I was tasked to do this I could use clever color filter that allowed to get 4 images: RED, GREEN, BLUE and IR. Use the IR data for tracking purposes. This filter could be quite expensive so cheaper solution could be using 2 CCD chips: 1st normal one and 2nd without IR filter.
[citation][nom]wickwick[/nom] They've got to work with crappy-quality images under variable lighting conditions.[/citation]
That is exactly why they should IR - not a visible light.
It would be more expensive, but damage control campaign now will cost them much more. I believe last year at CES there was company from Israel that had a tracking camera and it worked great. Their software not only tracked faces it was recognizing gestures also.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
The problem was the software was devolved in some part, with are really difficult to found, black people like some cities in Latin-American, and they didn’t tasted whit black people.

Status
Not open for further replies.