News Facebook Announces Project Cambria Mixed Reality Headset

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see that being all that product-able to the mass market. VR/AR is interesting, but having something strapped to my head to do it isn't all that enticing to me and I'm a semi-serious gamer. I guess as long as Facebook uses peoples vain to fund research that could one day be more viable for non-head strapped devices I can get behind the idea.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
I’d much rather a high refresh rate wide fov OLED headset for stereoscopic 3D. Don’t care for VR and having to move around and all that. Just give me truly immersive 3D and I’ll be happy.

Also as another user mentioned…not going to be using a Facebook product. Social media is cancer.

Oct 29, 2021
it remembers me a catoon where a ugly old woman types in a chat
"I'm a stripper ..."
and on the other side a fat ugly old man responds the chat with
"yea, I'm a chippendale"
.. and both of them got a brain-cinema effect

mwestall

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
"Zuckerberg explained the cutting-edge nature of the device as requiring price tag high end of the price spectrum” price tag."

Any chance of employing a proof reader, you know, instead of putting out illiterate nonsense?

but having something strapped to my head to do it isn't all that enticing to me
Having to hold something in your hand all the time and only being able to control it with only your thumbs and having neck pain because you have to look down at it all the time doesn't sound that good either but here we are with like 85% of people doing this all day long.

Having to hold something in your hand all the time and only being able to control it with only your thumbs and having neck pain because you have to look down at it all the time doesn't sound that good either but here we are with like 85% of people doing this all day long.
are we talking about a controller or a mouse + kb? regardless why are you looking down haha

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
If Facebook can cancel anyone they want at any time (thus cutting off access to the device and content), then why would anyone want this? Especially a business which could stand to lose a lot of work product or investment because Facebook decides their company logo doesn't meet the current woke standards?

If Facebook can cancel anyone they want at any time (thus cutting off access to the device and content), then why would anyone want this? Especially a business which could stand to lose a lot of work product or investment because Facebook decides their company logo doesn't meet the current woke standards?
I very much doubt that would have to connect to facebook for this to work, this will be stand alone hardware that devs will be able to make work with anything.
(And if not then somebody will be able to hack it)

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I’d much rather a high refresh rate wide fov OLED headset for stereoscopic 3D. Don’t care for VR and having to move around and all that. Just give me truly immersive 3D and I’ll be happy.

Also as another user mentioned…not going to be using a Facebook product. Social media is cancer.
You know that VR headsets can do both, right? If you don't want to move around, most VR games have a seated mode. Specifically manufacturing a VR headset but with the tracking hardware stripped out would only save a few bucks on components at best, it wouldn't make much economical sense for a company to do that. Besides, Sony already made a headset very similar to what you're requesting. It didn't sell very well, and they quickly abandoned the concept.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I very much doubt that would have to connect to facebook for this to work, this will be stand alone hardware that devs will be able to make work with anything.
(And if not then somebody will be able to hack it)
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember this story from Aug 19, 2020:

"Yesterday, Facebook infuriated the VR world, announcing plans to require a Facebook login for future VR headsets. The decision broke an early promise from Oculus founder Palmer Luckey and was almost universally reviled online, with critics raising concerns about intrusive data collection, targeted advertising, and being forced to use a service they hated."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/19/...ta-privacy-controversy-developers-competition