Facebook Slapped With £500,000 Fine for Cambridge Analytica Scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The European Union fined Microsoft $1.44 Billion USD for not having a version of Windows without Media Player built in. Yet Facebook sells Billions in user data without peoples consent and they get a small shake of the finger?

I say burn them to the ground.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Jimmysmitty, I guess this is why Britain wanted to leave. so they could have control over their own laws. It seems like they want a mini-America where Big Corp gets to do what they want.

That's what I was thinking, with as much money as they made off that data, this is less than a drop in the bucket. They should have tried to estimate how much was made and then base the fine off that. FB will just get the money out of the couch in the employees lounge and pay the fine as it is.

So glad I don't use social media...

Trump is trying to drain the swamp, but the establishment are fighting him, so-called "special interests" basically control the congress here in America.

danlw

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
If it weren't for the political angle, there would be no fine. The only scandal here is people leaving their FaceBook page set to be available to everybody and being surprised that their data was harvested by everybody, including political organizations.

Oh sure. I guess that's why the AMERICAN DOJ, FBI, FTC, and SEC are team investigating Facebook for alleged civil privacy violations. We'll see what happens there. Speaking of "Big Corp" I guess you have no problem with YOUR politicians taking campaign money from them through PACs. And you can't get more "Big Corp" mentality than Facebook's power abuse. ESPECIALLY regarding political bias. If you had any credibility and character at all, no matter your political leaning, you'd at least admit that.

And yes, Brits chose to tell the EU to take a walk because they got tired of Brussels based mainland Europe bureaucrats telling them what sized tea pots for power consumption they are only allowed to use. And no, I'm not making that up. Read more, pontificate less.

Even if you have your profile set to privacy, it guarantees nothing. We saw this when FB was exposed for trying to back door access user health care records. FB has become an out of control politically biased monster that has violated privacy rights and I hope the current administration takes it down.

Or they want to be able to control their country without the EU telling them what they can and cannot do.

I have friends in London. They are very upset at the current mayor and PM. They feel like their English heritage is dying. Based on the news out of London lately, I fully believe it.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

This is a British court giving Big Corp a gentle slap on the hand. The EU is still investigating this and has said they're looking into babysitting Facebook (regulating) in order to prevent them from doing this again. 500,000 in fines for a company with a multi-billion dollar quarterly revenue isn't even a drop in the ocean.

The EU already smacked them:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-facebook-antitrust/eu-fines-facebook-110-million-euros-over-whatsapp-deal-idUSKCN18E0LA

The British Parliament has already proven to be a bunch of corporate globalist cronies and they are still licking their wounds from the BREXIT vote.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

That is not factual on any point. Teresa May deliberately appointed the most anti-EU ministers in her latest government to make sure not one of the clowns who got them into the mess they're in now would be able to get away with any excuses later. Sure, they're all quitting one by one as they realise how dumb they are, but that's a different discussion. :)

There is nothing dumb about a country leaving an agreement that doesn't allow them to pass their own laws or secure their own borders. The EU was supposed to be more of a trade arrangement but now it acts like a governing board. They decide certain laws across the board with no regard to how the individual country might feel.

One of my economics professors in my junior year in college while the EU and Euro currency was getting started said it would fail long term. His reasoning was that you cannot manage one currency, and one government, among different nations and economic abilities. Long story short, he said it will fail and sub-par nations will mooch off the more powerful ones. We see that to this day.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018
it is up to the people to boycott FACEBOOK. forget about governments , they are "in" it , they hate privacy and want to know everything you do.

Just dont use FACEBOOK. and tell your friends not to use it and educate them why.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

Actually the Long run was to unite Europe into one huge Country after like 100 years .. not only trade and agreement as you said.

to be one huge country like USA for example , but not federal system , a better one.

in the USA if a State tries to leave the union there will be a civil war.

and we know why USA is happy about it , they dont want United Europe ...and they dont want the Euro. and all the people who support leaving EU are Either Stupid , or they work for USA.

as for the Refugees problem , well USA was behind it , USA supported the Rebels in Lybia , Syria and made the stupid Arab Spring and the fake Civil wars in the Middle east . USA promised the rebels weapons and then let them be defeated and fall in civil wars by denying them weapons after it was too late to stop the fight. That is : a TRAP to destroy the middle east and make people Flee to Europe. and Europeans know this and know whom to blame. but in time USA will have to pay for what it did to Europe. If you think the refugees problem was not intentional then you know nothing.

Yeah that fantasy land isn't working out so well. You have Spain and Italy for example that are mooching off EU money not pulling their weight economically compared to say France and Germany (and the UK). Only a moron would think that different nations, governments, and economies could all share one centrist government and more to the point, CURRENCY. Just two months ago the Euro hit a 6 month low. Forecasts for growth are being downgraded or more directly as Oxford Economics put it, “Euroboom turns to Eurogloom”. My college economics professor saw that train wreck coming in 1991 when he said the EU would fail long term. Any questions on that? Look at Spain's 16.74% unemployment rate just for starters. All subsidized by your EU currency and taxes if you live in Germany for example. I'd be pissed. OFF.

You are clearly not an American. I am. We would LOVE to see California secede from the Union. Good riddance too. If they want to be taken over by lawless murderous third world Latin American drug cartels, that's all them. We'll wall them up too and cut off their water from Nevada and Arizona as they are too stupid to figure out how to provide for their own water resourcing. I guess that fantasyland high speed rail for $77.3 billion (yeah that's BILLION) is more important than having tap water, toilet water, and shower water.

You make it sound as if the Middle East nations never fought each other before and there were no conflicts there until the US/West got involved. Nothing could be further from the truth. Then people like you support open borders and threaten to JAIL people speaking out against Middle East refugees who rob, rape, and murder European nationals. Everywhere. If you do not know what I'm referring to, then look up the term "No-Go zones" and why European media wants to hide stories about said "immigrants" taking over cities in crime, trash, and yes, human waste. Sometimes the bitter truth needs to be spoon fed.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

I will keep this short.

1- Be Sure that USA is working hard under the table to make problems for the EU and EU dream to come true. look for Agents everywhere you will find them. you just mention what is on the surface. Economy is much more complicated than one sentence on a forum buddy ... US$ has huge influence on what is happening in Europe .

2- Your own Opinion does not matter about States leaving the US union. the Government will never allow it and will be a Civil war. because they know that if it happens other states will follow and USA will be no more a super power.

3- You seem believe what Alex Jones and his likes say to you .. Travel to Europe , and I challenge you to find any no go zone. and stop this nonsense. Get your mobile phone ready and show me the No Go zones. and why are you changing the subject? USA made this Refugees problem ... they are safe Thousands of KM away and make war in Middle east near Europe. Where do you expect people to flee to ? huh ?
and the Huge Problem is their intentions , USA intentions was never defeat dictators , they could defeat Assad for Example just by allowing Turkey to move in and use anti Aircraft weapons like they did in Afghanistan against the USSR. but after 7 years we know now that their intention was to destroy the Middle east and make a huge Refugee problem in Europe , so the EU collapses ... and the Middle east stays under US control destroyed and in need of help.

have a nice day American.

The EU is going to fail. That's the point. Buddy.

California state representatives have already pushed a movement to secede. Since they are no longer worth anything outside of tech, we'll be good with them leaving. You don't understand how civil wars start. It's the people, not the government who start it.

First, YOU are the one who brought up Middle East refugees, not me. Second, Denial is not a river in Africa. I have friends in Austria who tell me horror stories about "immigrants" defecating in train stations. Is that what you people want to live in? Dwell in? As far as "No-Go Zones" a simple Google will learn you.

And yes, it's rather comical how the initial search on Google shows said denial links. But you don't want to face reality of ruining Europe and then blame the US for it. Then we'll see candles under the next mass shooting or a truck running over mass people on a street. It sounds oddly familiar actually here in the US when it comes to politics.

PS: downvoting does nothing for one's rating on Tom's Hardware regarding hierarchy on member status (means helping people who need tech help). I see you have no help votes here. Just thought I'd let you know that. Pal.

emeraldsmines1990

Proper
BANNED
Jul 5, 2018

1- The EU will survive. and US$ will go down :)

2- Are you saying that the people of USA made the North and South Civil war when the south wanted to leave the union? I dont think so.

3- I dont need Google to know that the "no go zone" is a Propaganda I am from Europe . Germany , and I have Relatives in Sweden , The Netherlands , Spain , UK , Austria , Russia .

4- The Refugees problem you started it when you said , That every State has the right to defend its borders and trade .

5- Finally , I will educate you about the Rape problem that came with the refugees. because you seem to be a Racist who think other nations are rapists.

When a Civil war starts in ANY country , all the Rapists and Criminals in the Jails in that country will break loose . and you will find them among the refugees. The criminals who escaped Jail in the Civil war are the ones who are raping in europe and not the whole people .

You need to stop the propaganda and believing the Propaganda . you just focus on the crime and use it to spread hate against other nations.

Be sure That if USA fell apart in Civil war, that your rapists in high security Jails will do much much worse than what some few criminals who came with the refugees did in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.