Facebook's Not Recommending Opera Instead of Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Same here. On one hand I think Opera is worthy enough that it should be noticed by a larger audience, on the other hand I don't want that to be because of Facebook. I don't do the social networking stuff and would dread if they merged that into the browser the same way Microsoft is trying to do with Windows 8.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]im the 1.78%![/citation]
Me too.

I suspect low numbers of Opera browser is also caused by them not hammering servers when you do back/forward in history.

Sounds like they just want to drive the stock down before the purchase and save some cash.

There appears to be a growing rift between facebook and google and maybe this is just a way of facebook "beating their chest".

Just my "theories" and opinions.

I would also like to point out that the title of this article seems off.

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
strange, the same kind of problem happend to me recently.

I use Firefox 12.0, and I access Google Groups. They (Google Groups) are changing the user interface, and the new interface is not compatible with older browsers, but it's compatible with Firefox 12.

But yesterday, when I accessed the site, it showed the old GUI instead and returned me a warning that i did not have a compatible browser, even though I had used the new GUI normaly before.

Today when I accessed the site, I tried switching back to the new GUI and it is working flawlessly again... weird, isn't it?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I use opera and it's great, I hope Facebook doesn't do with it what zynga did with flock buy then discontinue a week later, I hate social idiocy, it's a way to collect your private info.

maybe facebook wants to make opera have a less marker share to buy it for a lower price

lastly, I hate google's dominance of the internet browsers, community stuff like Firefox and stuff should prevail, not a browser made by a privacy invading company, even if partially open source

maqsabre

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
opera works great, and the use of gestures make it even more faster to surf,
i've been using it since a long time

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
"Facebook's Not Recommending Opera Instead of Chrome"

I read that as "Facebook is not recommending Opera, but they are recommending Chrome".

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
1st screen:
Google+ is a threat to us, drop Chrome support.
2nd screen:
Google is threatening to sue us, restore Chrome support.
Opera does not want to sell, drop Opera support.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Great news. I do not want the best browser get bloated with social rubbish.
Mouse gestures; fully customizble interface is just perfect for HTPC setups way ahead of the rest.
Chrome is not customizable enuff;IE get the virus attack first and firefox is kinda uncomfortable being Open source,hackers can get it.

No official facebook support? I can live with out it

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Me too. I suspect low numbers of Opera browser is also caused by them not hammering servers when you do back/forward in history.[/citation]
I bet if you would take into account only computer engineers and people knowing a bit more about software/hardware, this percentage would be quite a bit larger. I'm not saying it's the best, just with some really good ideas, it was the first.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]GreaseMonkey_62[/nom]I never liked Opera for the desktop, but it's my go to Android browser.[/citation]
bah humbug! (if I spelled that right) I use it both on my Android phone (even before my smart phone I used Opera on my flip phone also) and I use it on my desktops. I love Opera and any time I redo a computer for someone, especially from scratch as in a fresh OS install, I install Opera for them.

please please mister law of the universe don't let the suck, I mean zuck, purchase such a great product and taint it!

i used opera for a year and loved it but in the end i switched to chrome because it did not work with most websites i frequent. i even tried the opera 12 builds but they are not paying attention to any website issues. they had their chance and will never go= back to opera

Status
Not open for further replies.