[SOLVED] FaceSwap with GPU

Nov 13, 2021
Hi, I am a new bee

I am sorry being ignorance regarding the question I am about to ask,

I am not a kind of Geek person, so I am seeking some suggestions and possible advices,

I have got some computer with i9 intel 10th generation CPU with Nvidia 3090 24gb GPU

My concern is, I am an amateur person trying to create a fun project with Face Swap app,

Whenever I start this App my GPU fan goes mad, Spins so fast, I have to cover my ears in order to reduce loudness

Questions are?... is it normal? Will it do any harm to GPU (new computer, don’t want it to get damaged)? Any way to tweak it to slow the speed down?

by the way, in case you may need to know details of computer, it is HP OMEN 30L Gaming PC - Intel Core i9 RTX 3090

Thanks for your support

Solution
is it normal?
Yes, depending on how hot it's getting. Check the following while running this Face Swap app:
Gpu temperature
Gpu hotspot
Gpu vram temperature
All 3 can be monitored with hwinfo.

Will it do any harm to GPU?
What kills, or can kill, these cards typically are heat and current.
The fans are designed around 100%. Very cheap to replace in comparison to a new gpu.

Any way to tweak it to slow the speed down?
Easy enough to reduce the card's power limit. Requires the use of Msi Afterburner.
By default, the power limit and temperature limit are linked. You want to unlink them, so when you lower the power limit, it's not dragging down the temperature limit with it.
That link is indicated by a chain link...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is it normal?
Yes, depending on how hot it's getting. Check the following while running this Face Swap app:
Gpu temperature
Gpu hotspot
Gpu vram temperature

Will it do any harm to GPU?
The fans are designed around 100%. Very cheap to replace in comparison to a new gpu.

Any way to tweak it to slow the speed down?
Easy enough to reduce the card's power limit. Requires the use of Msi Afterburner.
By default, the power limit and temperature limit are linked. You want to unlink them, so when you lower the power limit, it's not dragging down the temperature limit with it.
That link is indicated by a chain link icon. Click it to unlink. Don't forget to click apply afterwards.

IF you can't keep it cool enough though, any custom fan curve will be overridden when temperatures cross a certain threshold and run the fans at 100% anyway.

Reactions: SafemoonUnited
Solution
Nov 13, 2021
Gpu temperature
Gpu hotspot
Gpu vram temperature

That link is indicated by a chain link icon. Click it to unlink. Don't forget to click apply afterwards.

IF you can't keep it cool enough though, any custom fan curve will be overridden when temperatures cross a certain threshold and run the fans at 100% anyway.
I wish you have hit me with a Brick, that would have killed me much easier than what you suggest me to do... :LOL:
Thank you very much, I will look into it to see if it is anything I may try to do....

by the way temp shows between 65-68 while the fan runs in full capacity....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All good when not really doing anything.

Under load, memory getting toasty... The other 2 are in the clear though.
For extended durations, that parameter should ideally be under 95C.
To try to get that down depends on how far you want to go:
A)Power limiting/undervolting the gpu. Don't have to worry about breaking warranty with this one. Neither of these directly lower the Vram temperature, but do it indirectly, by making the gpu radiate less heat; thus the ram doesn't soak up as much.
The memory itself doesn't pull much power(literally a few watts per chip), and the voltage going to it is fixed from vbios(can't be adjusted).

B)Improving airflow over the back of that card, which means modding it in some fashion. Will void warranty, except for the next one...

C)Similar to B, but you're not really modding the card. IF the motherboard has a spare fan header, plug a 120/140mm fan in and sit it horizontally on the back of the card(memory is in a circle around the core), pulling heat away.
It may, or may not do anything, depending on how much HP invested in the cooler; with a 3090, there should be some thermal pads between the backside memory and the backplate. If not, the fan probably won't do anything.