Factory repaired laptop sale - good deal or trap?

Kogure

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
So I'm looking for a laptop for college. IT stuff, maybe some VMs. But specs don't have to be too crazy.
I was looking at laptops around €900 range. Basic Core i7, 8-16 GB of RAM, 1050Ti as a nice bonus...
But then a real beast came along. MSI GT72VR 6RE-Dominator Pro
Massive machine, crazy specs, including a GTX 1070, €900 .The catch?
It's factory repaired. No box, only 3 months of warranty.

So, what do you think? It's a really good deal, but I'm really worried about the short warranty.
The store also doesn't say what was fixed.
I should also mention that the retailer is very trustworthy.

Refurbished or Factory repaired are always a risk in my eyes. If you don't feel comfortable with the warranty I would, personally, not go for it. The short warranty is a big down side plus the repair may or may not have fully fixed the issue.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
What you write is saying two different things.

Who refurbished the device, the OEM or the retailer?

If the former, I have had very good luck with refurbished laptops, as very few OEMs want to send out a product, new or refurbished, that is defective from the get-go or fails quickly. And with regard to the warranty length, it will be shorter for a refurbished product, but think about your own history with computers (and/or those of your acquaintances). Most machines fail, if they're going to fail, in a period of time well under 3 months if they're in consistent use. If they've been chugging along just fine during that time the probability of later failure is quite small and, generally, quite distant in time.

If the retailer is not the refurbisher, they would have no idea what the OEM did or did not do as far as the specifics for a given refurbished machine.

A very great many refurbished machines come as the result of an, "I really don't like this machine," after it's in an owner's hands, and it gets promptly returned. Once the box is open, if it goes back to the OEM and all they do is retest it again to recertify it as fully functional, it is considered a refurbished machine.

Kogure

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
The retailer is a leading Dutch electronics store, and their website says that it was "Factory repaired".
They also say it doesn't have a box, is missing one of the rubber feet at the bottom, and has 3 months of warranty.

Kogure

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
OK don't get so excited. So u gonna keep this thing in the dorm? 'cuz think about lugging this thing across campus back and forth.

Yeah, that's another thing. It's almost 4kg / over 8lbs, and as big as you'd expect. Guess that after taking it into consideration, I'll have to pass on it.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, I find a big inconsistency in "factory repaired" and "is missing a rubber foot."

No factory refurbished machine I've ever seen and touched could be distinguished from new other than by the packaging it comes in.

In any case, it's clearly a moot point now. Good luck in your ongoing search.