[SOLVED] Factory reset for USB ports?

tempo160615

Commendable
Jul 19, 2018
I bought a new second monitor that matches my primary monitor refurbished. I plugged it in, it works fine, but now all my USBs are messed up.

I've done all the obvious stuff like trying to update drivers, unplugging cords and uninstalling various components in device manager. No luck. I also took out the second Monitor and the video card and uninstalled the drivers. Also no luck.

I figure I need to clear all the configuration settings for USB and then reconnect from a clean slate. Basically I need to do a factory reset, but just for USB. How do you do that without reinstalling Windows and having to start over again ?

Last edited:
Solution
What model HP is it? I assume its HP since it came with HP mouse/kb

There are three ways to "restart" a particular USB port:
  1. Reboot the computer. Or ...
  2. Unplug, then re-plug, the physical device connected to the port. Or ...
  3. Disable, then re-enable, the USB Root Hub device that the port is attached to.
you do 3 via Device manager
The reason these are the only methods is due to the USB handshaking protocol, which is initiated by the USB device when it's plugged in, not by the controller. This causes problems like being unable to remount a USB flash drive after you've Safely Removed it. But cycling the USB Root Hub device causes all the devices attached to that hub to reinitialize themselves. (The unfortunate...

tempo160615

Commendable
Jul 19, 2018
If you want more detail here's what's going on. If I install my Logitech wireless mouse, it won't recognize it anymore. It recognizes the HP wireless keyboard / mouse that came with the computer (I don't use the HP mouse).

Then I tried a second Logitech wireless mouse. It recognized that one, but then it stopped recognizing the keyboard.

It also doesn't recognize my phone hooked up to a USB cable anymore.

Everything worked fine until I installed the second monitor.

i5-8600
12 gb RAM

Colif

Win 11 Master
What model HP is it? I assume its HP since it came with HP mouse/kb

There are three ways to "restart" a particular USB port:
  1. Reboot the computer. Or ...
  2. Unplug, then re-plug, the physical device connected to the port. Or ...
  3. Disable, then re-enable, the USB Root Hub device that the port is attached to.
you do 3 via Device manager
The reason these are the only methods is due to the USB handshaking protocol, which is initiated by the USB device when it's plugged in, not by the controller. This causes problems like being unable to remount a USB flash drive after you've Safely Removed it. But cycling the USB Root Hub device causes all the devices attached to that hub to reinitialize themselves. (The unfortunate side effect is that it causes all devices attached to that hub to reinitialize themselves, which could be problematic if you have other devices on that hub which are in use.)
https://superuser.com/questions/84753/how-to-restart-repair-an-usb-port

try refreshing the USB port that you attached the device to by using the Device Manager.

Step 1
Click the "Start" button, type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes and press the "Enter" button.
Step 2
Expand the option labeled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" by double-clicking it.
Step 3
Right-click a USB port and click the "Properties" option.
Step 4
Click the tab labeled "Advanced."
Step 5
Click the button labeled "Refresh" to refresh the USB port.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-refresh-usb-ports

Sometimes if USB stops working after adding more power draw to system (as running 2 monitors is more than 1 for GPU), its possible cause is the PSU not being able to supply the power it needs to keep everything active.

Solution